Rick williams
Rick williams, Technician
Experience:  20 YEARS OF TV REPAIR ALSO HD, DLP LCD AND PLASMA EXPERIENCE
10191312

My RCA 50 projection TV looses its picture. Five flashes

Customer Question

My RCA 50" projection TV looses it's picture. Five flashes on the on/off tv swictch and the picture comes back, stays a little while and goes off. We have already replaced the bulb and the motor. What's left? Could it be power loss? The bulb and motor where replaced in February. The bulb was suppose to be 10,000 hours and we hadn't had the TV that long. Please help. Thank you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Rick williams replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem.

Open the lamp door, make sure switch is tied down position turn unit on, when bulb lights, look at the screen to see if it is lit, we want to know when the screen goes black is the bulb still lit, if it isn't, friend you just need a new bulb. If it is you need a digital board. So let me know if you are confused with any of my diagnoses.

Good luck friend

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We will give this a try right away. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
ok, friend
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did what you said the the bulb goes out the same time as the picture does.

And the light is flashing,

turn unit on listen closely to a wheel start to turn first this is the color wheel and the crackling of the ballast second. If you can here the crackling or see a spark from the ballast it is good and lamp is the suspect. If not, power supply and ballast suspect. do this test Were the wire is that runs from the ballast to the power supply, make sure it reads around 300vdc if it doesn't you need a power supply if it does you need A BALLAST. You can make sure the capacitors close to the connector are flat on the top if not you may have bad capacitors. It will be easy to see if the power supply and ballast has bad capacitors they will not be as flat on the top as the good ones, this is the problem. Also intermitting shut downs, This can be caused by the lamp switch, make sure switch is in the down position and the thermostat which is on top of the lamp housing, both can be tested buy shorting them out and running TV if any are bad Exchange them and you will be ok, lastly intermitting shut downs, lines in the picture can be the digital board this is a good tip on digital board

Good luck friend, and if unit works fine, feedback and a bonus will be appreciated

Picture of a ballast Capacitor pictures

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One other thing and maybe this goes with your suggestions above, when the picture goes off the power switch on the TV will blink 5 times then go out. We were told by a tech at RCA that it indicated the bulb was going. But, we can hear a motor shutting running; it will shut off then you can hear it click on again and the picture will start to return. We see a light screen then the picture for a few minutes then the procedure returns. What we need now is to get the proper instructions for changing the bulb as it appears to be mercury based so we don't want to make any mistakes. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

One other thing and maybe this goes with your suggestions above, when the picture goes off the power switch on the TV will blink 5 times then go out. We were told by a tech at RCA that it indicated the bulb was going. But, we can hear a motor shutting running; it will shut off then you can hear it click on again and the picture will start to return. We see a light screen then the picture for a few minutes then the procedure returns. What we need now is to get the proper instructions for changing the bulb as it appears to be mercury based so we don't want to make any mistakes.

Also, the picture when it comes up doesn't seem as bright as it should be, but it's a perfect picture.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Also sorry to say, but I need a little more directions on doing the above. The only thing I know is how to open the light back. I need some guidiance.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Also, please direct me to where I can print out a picture of what I'm doing. I'm a 60 year old female doing this on my own and need just a little more guidance as to what's what. I know there is a website for chaning the bulb, but I need guidance to what I'm looking at in the back. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Exchanging bulbs didn't work... Please explain in terms I can understand what to do next. The bulb goes out like you said. We have a spark, we can hear the motor shut on and off, the TV doesn't actually shut off just the picture clicks off. We still have sound. Please help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Also, how do we short out the switch and the thermostates? No lines in pictures, just slightly dim.

Good morning friend, Well this unit I cant find on the internet how to change a bulb, But all you have to do is make sure it is plug in correctly and i'm sure you have and that the lamp switch, this is the blue lever is in the down position, so take back cover off use any thing to hold down the switch turn unit on watch from the rear, Now you said it blink 5x make sure this happens with the old bulb also then let me know.

Good luck

Edited by PROJECTION TV EXPERT on 9/26/2009 at 2:09 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, gonna try right now, get right back to you. the tv did go off with the other bulb in that was returned to us by rca saying it was still good. it did blink five times. So stand by please.
ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Which way is down. Blue button goes side to side. We held it down both ways, bulb only went out, button does not stay in position without being held. We did not get the five blinks this way. Only when we first turned tv on.

This is what we need to know, Ok use tape for the switch, then turn on look and see if it is the same error blinks, if not the new bulb is bad, you agree. both bulbs should not have the same error

Well good luck friend

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Which way should we tape it pushing from the front or the back... We can hear the motor still switching on and off.

HELP!!!!!!!

Tape it in the direction that the door will push it
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This blue button goes side to side and the door doesn't seem to press against it. Just asking, but is there a reason and if we get a new bulb should we do the same thing and why do we still hear the motor shut on and off?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This switch goes side to side, or front to back would be more accurate. the access door holds the switch down when pushed to the front. If we tape it towards the back of the tv, we can't get the door on.

Ok, if your door doesnt close this switch thats a problem, this is why i asked you to tape it down and leave the door off, dont need it if the switch is taped.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you want it taped to towards the back of the TV or towards the front of the TV? from your reply above, I'm thinking you want it taped towards the back of the TV. We've held it down in both positions and the bulb keeps going then coming back on with the five blinks.
tape it going back this is the way the door would do it, Now please try the new bulb and the old bulb, want to know if it blinks the same amount for both bulbs, And is the old bulb actually blown, can you see the damage
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
got a neighbor to help. nothing on either bulb looks blown or dark spots, they look crystal clear. trying the second bulb now.
make sure the blinks are the same
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Both bulbs tested. Blinks were the same. All the way in my first message I mentioned the blinks. RCA once told me that the blinks were a way to tell what's wrong. But yes, 5 blinks, both bulbs. So, now what?

This code means the the bulbs according to RCA, so this means that may be your bulb was good and you must check the power supply up to the ballast.Ok read bellow, I couldnt type all of this over again so I made a check list, your concern is the power supply voltage going to the ballast.

Good luck friend.

First I would like for you to open lamp door make sure the lamp switch is in the down position, Make sure the bulb is plugged and good, remember if bulb is over a year old it is a suspect, turn unit on listen closely to a wheel start to turn first this is the color wheel and the crackling of the ballast second. If you can here the crackling or see a spark from the ballast it is good and lamp is the suspect. If not, power supply and ballast suspect. do this test Were the wire is that runs from the ballast to the power supply, make sure it reads around 300vdc if it doesn't you need a power supply if it does you need A BALLAST. You can make sure the capacitors close to the connector are flat on the top if not you may have bad capacitors. It will be easy to see if the power supply and ballast has bad capacitors they will not be as flat on the top as the good ones, this is the problem. Also intermitting shut downs, This can be caused by the lamp switch, make sure switch is in the down position and the thermostat which is on top of the lamp housing, both can be tested buy shorting them out and running TV if any are bad Exchange them and you will be ok, lastly intermitting shut downs, lines in the picture can be the digital board this is a good tip on digital board

Picture of a ballast Capacitor pictures

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We are going to order a new bulb it will be here tuesday. if problem still occurs I guess I'll have to bring it to a repair person. I have no way of shorting any lines out. The TV appears to turn on exactly as it should with the motor turninging on, cracking sounds and a spark in the bottom left hand corner. Everything you described above seems to be working fine. Nothing else appears to be wrong and the TV comes on just like it's suppose too. The local tech mentioned the Ballast and said that if we are going thru bulbs this quickly the set could be producing too much power. The new bulb we put in was a Philips that was suppose to be good for 10,000 hours or so we were told, didn't even last 2,000 hours and thats a high estimate. Thank you again. As soon as we changed bulbs feedback and a bonus definitely will be forcoming. Any other tips so I can watch football on 50" instead of 37? Bought the NFL ticket too just to beable to watch on the big screen TV.

We covered it friend, Sorry about the game on a small tv, but it wont be for long

Good luckCry

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I'm a NY Giants life long fan, they look good even on a 27" TV. I'll email you when we get the new bulb. Does $169 sound about right for a new bulb. I don't remember what we paid 6 months ago, but don't think it was that much, of course, everything has gone up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Since we have the RCA insurance, do you think it would be to our advantage to have a tech come out and check the power sources both in the TV and into the TV?
With insurance, I wouldn't even change a bulbWink They would come out and repair,