Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
13758627

my tv changes from color to black and white. When i hit the

Customer Question

my tv changes from color to black and white. When i hit the back it will change to color for a while then goes black and white at random times. agh what to do.   thanks

XXXXX XXXXX 32 m     louisville ,ky
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 5 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Three (3) things mentioned in your post are very significant:
  • color to black and white - indicates that no major component is defective and therefore repair would almost be service (no parts cost);
  • hit the back it will change to color - indicates a loose connection;
  • goes black and white at random times - reenfprces the loose connection suspect more specifically heat related, a cold solder.

Options then are:
  • consider a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair if and only if very familiar with electronic components & circuitry, use of a DVM/VOM, a soldering iron/station and safe working practices with high voltages. Access to a Service Manual or at the very least, a schematic diagram would be a necessity. Of particular interest would be the color crystal base;
  • should you be uncomfortable with a DIY, perhaps your best bet would then be to seek the services of an authorized Panasonic Service Center (specially if still under some form of extended warranty) or a qualified professional.

Good luck and thank you for asking JustAnswer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
not satisfied. would like money back. i know that there is a defective part. or somthing loose. would like a step by step on how to fix it
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry for any trouble but i thought it was a deposit and if i'm satisfied they i tehn paid.
thanks
Expert:  Louie replied 5 years ago.
I understand and would open up the post to enable other members of the site to further view your question. An answer would be provided should one be available.
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 5 years ago.

How do you get TV, is it cable, satellite, or antenna?

If cable, do you use a set top box or does the cable come from the wall and screw into the connector on the back?

Do you have any other sources connected to this TV, like a DVD player, and if so, does the problem happen with it?

And, it would really help to have the model number of the TV, but I'm guessing this is not a high def TV.

Chuck