Eric, Technician
Experience:  TV Repairman for over 30 years, still working in the field
22241082

How do I replace the cooling fan on 61 Samsung DLP tv

How do I replace the cooling fan on 61" Samsung DLP tv?
Category: TV
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
Hi my name is Eric,
I hope I can help you with your issue ,

What is the Tv doing?
Not doing?
lets start there

And Please tell me your technical ability, if you need more assistance.
1 I can solder and check voltages and want to know what board/part is bad so I can fix it myself
2 I am pretty good at figuring things out, but do not want to open the Tv up
3 I barely know how to turn on my TV
This way, I can help you without getting to technical unless needed.
If I have helped you with your issue please click accept.
If you have more questions you can still respond until this post expires,
I will reply asap
Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Making a buzzing sound from the rear by the bulb. It's audible over the tv sound. When I turn the TV off, the sound continues then winds down. I am able to do things such as open the tv and replace stuff in need be.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is anyone there? I'm on your website now I"m on my email. I'm waiting for your next response.

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Great thats what I figured. I don't agree with the samsung phone people, they may not actually be techs.

Your color wheel is most likely the problem, fans can go bad , but mostly they just stop and then you'll a fan 2 error message in the picture.

here is the color wheel info make sure to get the correct on buy model, version etc

take a look at the wheel through the hole behind the lamp you should see the colored fins there, if they are broken or gone its shattered.

read this

graphic

google with your model and the words color wheel to find one in stock about $140

Its not that hard to change, but make sure of the direction for the ribbon cable

A repairman will charge about $350

I will reply asap

Thanks

Eric, Technician
Experience: TV Repairman for over 30 years, still working in the field
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, I can't see it yet. Do I have to take the bulb out to see the wheel. I can't quite see it. If so, I can do that and that should end it. Thanks.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Yes the lamp shines through a hole in the end, so take the lamp out shine a light in there.

The colorwheel spins at 10,000-15,000 rpms and may fail every few years. They started using an air bearing in them, but the fins shatter, if you just see a hole and no colored fins its gone. look at the guide I linked , it shows a broken color wheel in number 13

I'll be back in a few to see if you accepted

or have more questions, I'll still answer until the post expires

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK. That seems to be the problem. thank you very much. I can go from here. Have a great day and thanks again.