Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.
329447

1980s Sony Trinitron 13" TV, Model KV-1393R. When it last

Customer Question

1980's Sony Trinitron 13" TV, Model KV-1393R. When it last turned on, it was great for about a minute, then the video image was reduced to a single horizontal line in the middle of the screen, followed by blank screen (and the audio went silent). Now there is no audio or video sign of life, but you can hear the distinct on/off thunk, and the little red light stays lit.
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 years ago.

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear about your TV.

You have lost your vertical deflection - a component or component in the TV has gone bad and will need to be fixed.

To be frank, a 1980s vintage 13" television, is not worth repair. The labor costs alone would far exceed the cost of a new one. You can probably find one of these for under $100.

Sorry.

I will be here if you have a follow up comment or question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. You indicated that I could probably find "one of these" for under $100. Could you please be more specific? Another 30 year old TV? Or, a new 13" TV that's a bit on the old-fashioned side? All the TVs in the stores are so modern and complicated. I guess I'm in the market for something old/old fashioned, but where can I find such a TV?

--BB

Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 years ago.

Not many people make 'tube type' TVs any more. If I was looking for one, I would try Wal Mart but I don't see any on their web site.

They do have a 19" for $168. That's not too bad.

Here: http://www.walmart.com/Aoc-Envision-Monitor-19-L19W898/ip/10569332

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Before I say good-bye...can you advise me on the proper way to dispose of my beloved Sony Trinitron 13" TV?

Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 years ago.

There are recycling places that take TVs. Your local county government may be able to tell you where you can drop it off.

They will make sure that it is recycled correctly.