Eric, Technician
Experience:  TV Repairman for over 30 years, still working in the field

How do you install a new DLP chip

Customer Question

How do you install a new DLP chip?
Category: TV
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 7 years ago.

The DLP chip comes as part of the light engine. It is not replaced by a service tech. It is factory installed when the light engine is built.

The light engine is the most expensive part in the TV. We have not replaced the DLP chip ONLY the entire light engine.

Please let me know if you would like more information and/or clarification.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I was told by a service tech that I needed a new chip because my TV has white dots that are increasingly moving over the screen each day.

I just want to know how to install the chip without having to pay $200 for labor costs.

I'm going to "opt" out of this question. I don't have information on doing what you would like to do.

This will open the question for other experts to review.

It will "FLAG" this question for special attention.

Please do NOT ask the question again. It will not be "FLAGGED" if you do and work above will not be seen by the next expert.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok thanks. So will I just hear from someone else?

It appears that none of the techs here has information on replacing a DLP chip. You should discuss further with the tech who told you this.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX have read your issue and hope I can help you obtain an acceptable solution
I have replaced DLP chips, they usually come with the DMD board.
It sits behind the lite engine in the middle of the DMD board.
you will see four screws with springs on them surrounding a heatsink. Disconnect the cables to this board, then remove the screws holding the board.The shield needs to come off and the screws holding the board too, plus chip to the lite engine.
   Be aware when putting this back on the picture will be off center. leave the locking screws slightly loose and you can actually move the board side to side or tilted until the picture is straight and centered. then you can do a fine alignment with the service menu if its just off center a little. I can post some photos if you like.
Hope this helps, if it has solved your issue please click accept and close out the request
But if you have more questions please respond and I will reply asap