Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
13758627

I just replace the lamp on a Sony Wega kdf55e2000 with an orginal

Customer Question

I just replace the lamp on a Sony Wega kdf55e2000 with an orginal sony xl-2400 lamp. Tv worked fine prior to replacement except for picture becoming darker and the message to change lamp coming on. After replacement the tv will only start for 20 seconds or so during which you can hear the fan come on then it goes off. The power indicator light blinks red 3 times. Sony service said that was because the lamp or lamp door were not properly in place. I have checked and rechecked, they are in the right place, kinda like screwing in a light bulb, it can only go one way and it's not to difficult to see it is in place. I am still getting the error blinks and tv won't turn on.

Is there a reset switch or can the circuit board by the lamp door go bad when removing the lamp door for the first time? Can you remove the circuit board and replace it or bypass it to get the tv to turn on?
Category: TV
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 5 years ago.

Hi!

It's possible that the prong on the lamp door is broken, and not pressing on the switch.

There are two lamp doors, and it's the inner one that would be causing the problem. If you take both doors off, you should be able to see the small switch that is supposed to be pressed when the door is closed. You may be able to use a small screwdriver to push that switch in, and if you do so and turn the TV on and it comes on, then you know that you've found the problem.

See if you can try that, let me know how it goes, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Chuck,

I've done that and when the switch is depressed, it still does not work. I tried depressing the switch manually thinking the latch may not be doing the job, but it did not change the situation. I then took the circuit board off and inspected it but to no avail. Can the circuit board the switch is on be bad?

Sure, the switch could be bad, but it's highly unlikely.

Do you have a voltmeter? You can check it if you do, let me know and I'll explain how.

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I can get a voltmeter tomorrow if you will explain how. I really don't understand how just changing the bulb brought about this problem, maybe something pulled loose while taking the old bulb out???

Thanks for your help

It just HAS to be something simple like that.

I'd have to download the manual and I'm actually offline right now, but if your voltmeter is set to read DC volts, and one probe is connected to any metal chassis part and the other is touched to either the gray or black wire (probably the gray), when you push and release the switch, you should read 5 volts in one position of the switch and zero volts in the other.

I can be more detailed tomorrow, let me know if this is clear to you.

Chuck