Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
13758627

what is wrong with my sony tv when it flashes on and off

Category: TV
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 7 years ago.

Hi, Nick!

What's the model number of the TV?

Chuck

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm not sure I have two 32" and 36"

Well, I need to know that before I can help you. Also, it would help to know if the TV's on screen menu also flashes on and off if you press the menu button, and if you have a DVD player, is it also affected?

Chuck

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it only flashes after it is turned off for the night and then turned back on

OK, get me the info I asked for and we can go from there.

Chuck

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
model no. is kv-35S66

I think what you may have is your picture tube is right on the edge of working with the set's AKB, or auto cathode balance. All Sony tube TV's use AKB.

AKB is a circuit that attempts to compensate for aging of the picture tube (among other things), and if the tube isn't conducting enough (due to age), it will intermittently blank the screen or, in sever cases, not allow the picture to come on at all.

But if you are comfortable taking the back off of the set and making a minor adjustment, you can probably restore the picture for a while longer.

Take the back off, turn the set on to a blank channel (receiving snow). You will se a large gizmo with a thick red wire coming out of it going up to the glass on the picture tube. That's the high voltage (a.k.a. flyback) transformer.

On this transformer will be a small knob labeled "Screen." If I'm right, if you turn this control ever-so-slightly counterclockwise, the screen will blank off immediately. But if you turn it just a bit clockwise, it may fix your problem. Don't go too far with this control, just enough to make it work.

Try that, let me know if you have any other questions, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I understand but isn't this a temporary fix are the tvs days numbered or can it be fixed

Yes, it's a temporary fix, but it may last another year or two. It's either do that or have a new picture tube installed, and I don't think they are available any longer. And it certainly wouldn't make economic sense to fix it anyway.

Chuck