Rick williams
Rick williams, Technician

My Vizio VX32L HDTV just gave this horrible high pitch noise

Customer Question

My Vizio VX32L HDTV just gave this horrible high pitch noise and the sceen went blank. I couldnt turn it off with the remote or on the TV, so I unplugged it. Now when I turn it on the screen is blank and I cant do anything (volume up/down, input, etc) including turning it off unless I unplug it. How do I fix this or can I
Category: TV
Expert:  Rick williams replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem.

Well friend what causes this is a bad coil or capacitor, usually on the power supply, and possibly on the backlight inverters. If you turn on unit and it doesnt have the high pitch, then main suspect is the main board, but if you are still getting the pitch, my trick is to use a can of cold spray, and hit all boards until you find the pitch, and thats the board you will need. because the change in temperature will expose the bad part.

Well Good luck friend.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It does not have the high pitch sound when I turn on the unit, what do I do now about the main board? Where is the main board, Do I have to buy a new one or can I repair this one, and can an average XXXXX XXXXXke me replace a main board?

You will have to replace, the main board is full of digital and logic circuits. but check with manufacturer or list below for best price. And yes a average joe can repair itWink

Good luck

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the advice but it turns out that since I bought the TV from Costco that they have a two year warranty so VIZIO is sending me a repalcement TV. I am sorry I waisted your time but thanks for the informaiton