Bernard S.
Bernard S., Installs and troubleshooting
Experience:  27 years TV retail sales, service and installations
8697087

How do I get my Mitsubishi Medallion HD TV to the 1080i

Customer Question

How do I get my Mitsubishi Medallion HD TV to the 1080i ? My HD Direct TV box is set to 1080 but my TV will not move off the 480 ??? I really need help
Category: TV
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for using Just Answer.

We will need more information to answer your question best.

What is the model number of your TV? It's on the back of the TV on a sticker.

What kind of cable are you using to hookup from the HD Direct TV box to the TV (HDMI, component which is red,green,blue, composite which is yellow or a 75 ohm calbe which is round and screws on)?

What channel are you tuned to when the TV shows 480?

Who did this hookup and how long has this hookup been there?

So that we do not repeat what you have already tried, what have you already tried to fix this?

Thank you for your patience.

bernie

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Bernie,

Hooked up like this for the last year !! Tired of trying to get through to Mitsubishi !! Tired of trying to figure it out for myself and Direct TV hooked it up !! OK answers to your questions...

1.Model # XXXXX 55413

2.There is a cable called MonitorLink/DVI from TV to Cable Box HDMI insert

Also have S cable not hooked up !

Red, White & Yellow Cable from Input 1 of TV to Audio Out of Cable Box

3.TV Picture comes in on Input-1 and that is it...

Tried reading Manuel,tried formatting, hope you can help.

Thanks, Stacey

Hi Stacey,

I'm sorry it's become such a problem.

The input 1 (as I understand from above) can NOT give you HD. This input is using a Yellow (for video) and Red and White (for audio) connector(on back of the TV) correct?

If so, that type of connection will not support HD.

If not, please let me know. (Is the HDMI number 1 input?)

The HDMI connection (or DVI) will give you HD. That is the one that should be hooked up from the Direct TV (satellite box) or Cable box (I'm not sure which you have. Do you have BOTH?)

If it is already connected, you need to change the input to corresponding one for HDMI (or DVI). You should be able to do this from your TV's original remote control (or on the TV).

Please let me know how you make out. There may be more that I need to give you to follow this to a resolution. I don't want to make it more confusing than needed. I hope I haven't done that already!

bernie
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Cable's are already connected... how would I change the input to a corresponding one for HDMI ? Tried with the remote and it just keeps going through the 480 motions, stretch, expand, narrow, etc..etc..
Hi Stacey,

The stretch expand... etc... is NOT the button you should use at this point.

On the back of the TV check to see what number input the HDMI (or DVI) cable is connected to.

On the TV's remote control there would be a button labeled "Source", "Input" or something similar.

Push that button to switch it to the corresponding numbered input. On Mitusbishi TV's they are sometimes labeled in the menu something else. That will depend on how the TV was originally setup by Direct TV.

If that doesn't work, I'm going to have to go to the manual. I believe that this TV may have a system where you have to set up the inputs in advance. I don't remember it off the top of my head. However, I have set them up before with the manual.

I'm sorry. I have to leave right now. So, I will check back later today and stay with you until you have this resolved.

Please do NOT "accept" this answer until you are happy with the results.

bernie