Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

samsung tv wont power on

samsung tv won't power on
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)

-How old is the unit?

-What does the unit do when you attempt to turn it on?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

unit is 1 year old, connected to directv hd

model is LN32A33OJ1D

red light at the front (which is also the on button) flashes briefly, then nothing turns on

I have powered off (unplugged), and it came on a couple times earlier but once

it's turned off again, it won't come back on

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

When you say it flashes beiefly....

Does it flash only one time when you press the power button or....

Does it flash over and over again until you unplug it?

Thanks,
Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

flashes once very faintly, does not continue to flash

(we had a brown-out lastnight and it power went off for about 10 seconds)

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

There are a couple of things that can cause this. Please tell me a little more about your situation so I know where to go with my answer.

What kind of information are you looking for? Trying to fix this yourself or get a good idea of whats wrong and what it will cost?

If you are trying to repair this yourself, what kind of electronic repair experience do you have, do you know how to use a meter and solder?

Please let me know!

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

not trying to fix myself unless it's simple (like replacing a fuse)

would like to know what is the cause of this and cost to fix

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Unfortunately it will not be a fuse, we know this because the light is coming on for a second. If the fuse was bad then the light would never come on.

So that leaves us with the power supply or the main board, or possibly both. A brown out can do weird things to a television, they are very sensitive to power problems.

The really bad news is that one of these boards will need to be replaced, you will be looking at somewhere between $250-$300 for the repair. You will need to compare this to the price of a new set and determine the best route at that point.

I am sorry to bring you the bad news, but one of these boards will need to be replaced, unfortunately there is no quick fix for this problem.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.