Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

A problem with Sony Grand WEGA KDF-50WE655. After turned on,

Customer Question

A problem with Sony Grand WEGA KDF-50WE655. After turned on, the tv green light came on flashing and the picture came on as normal but then afte less then one minute the lamp and picture went off and power button continued to flash in green and after a minute, the tv came back on and then the same thing happened. This continued until shut the TV off. Reinstalled the lamp and checked the cooling fan is working, it wouldn't help.
What could be the cause?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 7 years ago.

I will tell you I have seen this problem over 100 times I would say and only once has it been something other than the lamp.

So I guess what I am saying is you do have a bad lamp, this is a common failure for the lamp as well. Also lamps do not always shatter and filaments do not always brake when a lamp goes bad. I have replaced many lamps where they looked bran new but were in fact bad. This is because they are a chemical lamp and not a normal light bulb.

Once you replace the lamp I can tell you with 99.9% certainty that it will fix your problem, like I said only once have I seen it be something other than the lamp.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

Since I just replaced a new lamp three month ago, the chance to fix the problem by replacing a lamp is not high. I have bought a new LCD TV during the weekend. I had expected the answer within a short time on last Friday. But it didn't happen. So I have made decision on last Friday. Thanks anyway.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 7 years ago.

This is actually a very common problem when a lamp goes bad, if you just replaced it three months ago I would recommend contacting the company you got the lamp from and see if they will send you a warranty replacement since it has only been three months. It is very common to have a lamp fail after three months as well if it is not an original and possibly a generic lamp. I have actually had lamps that were not originals fail within hours of installation. Its at least worth a try then you will have two televisions.

I cannot tell you how many lamps I have replaced for your EXACT symptom and only once have I had it be anything different than the lamp. There was 1 time that I found a ballast to be causing the problem, but I have changed over 100 lamps for that exact symptom.

Sorry for the delay in getting you an answer there, let me know if you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Thanks,
Tim