Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.

I have a big screen Mitsubishi TV that shows a blue screen

Customer Question

I have a big screen Mitsubishi TV that shows a blue screen and states check connections, what could be the problem?
Category: TV
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 5 years ago.

Hi!

It means that either a wire got pulled out or you are trying to feed the TV a format it cannot handle.

What's the model number?

How do you get TV, is it cable, satellite, or antenna?

If cable do you use a set top box or does the cable come from the wall and screw into the connector on the back?

Do you have any other sources connected to this TV, like a DVD player, and if so, does the problem happen with it?

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is a HDTV1080, I use Cox Cable and it has a box. There is a dvd and sound system hooked up to it.

Does the DVD player work?

Is the cable box connected to the TV via the red-green-blue cables?

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes

Then what you probably have is a defective or loose green wire from the cable box to the TV. ONly a green wire problem would cause this. A problem with the red or blue wire would cause poor or no color.

The only other thing it might be is if the cable box is delivering 720p to the set, and not 1080i (depending on the model of the set).

Hope that helps, let me know if you need more help, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The cable line is going straight into the tv without the green wire and it still is giving a "check power or connections. Check the RGBHV. It is still just a blue screen.

Are you saying you have the cable box coax output going into the screw on connector in the back of the Mits? I thought you said it was connected to the TV via the RGB cables??

If so, and green wire is NOT connected, then that's exactly what the TV would do.

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is not the problem, the tv will only show a blue screen and the tv is going straight to wall cable. It will not show on Dvd either.

Sigh...

I asked you:

Does the DVD player work?

And

And you said yes.

So, no cable box in your system, the cable TV wire comes directly from the wall to the screw on terminal on the back, correct?

And the DVD player does not work, it shows a blue screen only, correct?

I also need to know the model number of the TV, it starts with WS, or WD, or WT.

Chuck