Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

my LG plasma television screen just went black with no warning.

my LG plasma television screen just went black with no warning. Its about 2 1/2 years old. Whats wrong with it? Can it be fixed? There is still sound but no picture
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I dont know what the model number is XXXXX the tv is screwed to the wall and I cant get it off myself and no the tv does not work with cable, dvd, nothing. There is sound but no picture. Also Im curious do I have to pay 9$ for every reply? I kinda need to know about that cuz I may be needing to spend a thousand dollars again on a tv!!!
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

You do not need to accept every answer, only when you are 100% satisfied.

Without a model number I can only really guess, but I do think I know what is wrong with your set, there were a bunch of models around the time you bought yours that had this problem. If yours is the model I think it is then this is actually a common problem in your model and is well known for doing this. What has happened most likely is your Y or Z sustain board has failed and needs to be replaced, both of these are about the same price to have replaced as well. The average cost of replacement for these is $550+ tax, the repair price, however can vary depending on the part of the country you live in and the shop you call out. Sometimes smaller shops that are less dependable will charge less than the large outfits with big overhead costs. If you have electronic repair experience, and test equipment let me know and we can troubleshoot this together, however if you do not a repairman will be required. These sets are fragile and you MUST know what you are doing when repairing them or damage can be caused to them, or you!

This is an unfortunate problem because these televisions should last a lot longer than they do, however the age of them doesn't seem to affect this problem at all. We do warranty work for most of the major manufactures and I cannot tell you how many 1 week old televisions we have done major repairs on. Also the same problem that might have happened to one person's television at 1 week old might have happened to someone else's at 3 years old. These new sets are a shame to be honest with you, nothing is made the way they used to, or the way they should be for that matter. The average span of time for a new plasma or LCD television to last before its first major problem seems to be anywhere less than 3 years.

I am sorry that I do not have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, but this set will require board replacement in order to get it running again. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you, I will be happy to assist in any way possible.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sounds like I could get a new one for just a bit more than trying to fix this one. My only question is what do people do with their tvs once this happens short of throwing them on the curb?? Do repair shops ever offer a small payment for old tvs?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

I don't know of any repair shops in my area that pay for them at all...actually most charge for disposal. Most people kick them to the curb or try to sell them on craigslist, not to sure how successful they are at that though...

Please let me know if there is anything else you need!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.