Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

Im looking for a reset button on my Phillips tv (model # XXXXX)

I'm looking for a reset button on my Phillips tv (model # XXXXX) During a recent storm we had a power outage, and now the tv power button will turn green but no picture appears on the screen and there is no sound. Please help.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Do you see the screen illiminate at all?

-How old is the unit?

- Do you hear any clicking noise coming from inside the set when you attempt to turn it on?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It's a 47 inch Magnavox LCD ( i believe i said philips earlier). When it is plugged in the red power button is glowing and then when you press the power button to turn it on it goes to green. Nothing happens on the screen, and no clicking noises are heard. The tv is less than a year old. The power went out for a few seconds the night of the storm while we were watching it and then the tv came back on. It went out a second time while we continued to watch it and we went to bed. When we tried to turn the tv on the next morning it would not turn on. _

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 7 years ago.

There are many things that can cause this. Please tell me a little more about your situation so I know where to go with my answer.

What kind of information are you looking for? Trying to fix this yourself or get a good idea of whats wrong and what it will cost?

If you are trying to repair this yourself, what kind of electronic repair experience do you have, do you know how to use a meter and solder?

Please let me know!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

We are going to have a service man look at it for insurance purposes. A lightning strike is fully covered, a power surge is only covered up to 1000$. We were trying to get a feel for what might be wrong with the tv and what it would cost to get repaired, or if it would be cheaper just to buy a new tv. Someone had mentioned to us that there might be a reset button that could be pressed on the tv... but when I looked in the back of the tv I didnt see one.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately there is no reset button on this tv...

A good idea of what this will cost to repair is between $500-$700, it could be either the main board or power supply. Actually with a power surge it could be both, you never know with a power surge like that. Troubleshooting would be required to know for sure however.

Either way though with the price of new television these days I would recommend that you replace the tv rather than repair it. (I recommend a sony LCD and you must purchase a 5 year warranty)

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan