Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.

why cant i get channel 7(abc) on my new HDTV with an amplified

Customer Question

why can't i get channel 7(abc) on my new HDTV with an amplified tv antenna(indoor) in Lansing, IL
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer. Thanks for asking your question.

What is your zipcode?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
60438. i have to tvs hooked up to convertor boxes and they get channel 7, but my new hdtv doesn't. why. no one can answer and i have checked with the fcc, the geek team and the makers of the tv.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

Ok. WLS (channel 7) is broadcast from the same set of towers as most of your other stations so it can't be a signal strength issue.

Can you tell me the make and model of your TV please?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok,the first tv i bought was a 19 inch sanyo, returned that one and bought a toshiba 19 in i believe that model was 19AV600
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.
Ok and I assume that you are not using a converter box? Or are you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no not on the digital tv. although i tried and it didn't work. i tried the tv all over the house with four different rabbit ear antennas and also the outdoor antenna. but as i said, the other tvs with the convertor boxes work just fine.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.
Ok. And did you do a channel scan? What happened when it got to channel 7? Did it just skip it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the tv gets channel 5 and then goes to 9. when i try to add 7-1, it says there is no signal. i also scanned the tv. unplugged and waited for a few minutes and then rescanned. still no 7. i reset the tv and did it over and still no 7.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

Ok. Plug one of your converter boxes into the TV.

Select the correct input for the box (it will be different that when you have the cable plugged directly in, and tell me if you can see channel 7 since it will be stored in the converter box's channel memory.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the convertor box is not working the the digital tv because the tv doesn't go to channel 3 like it would on an analog tv .
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

You don't have to put it on channel 3. How is the converter box conected to the TV?

With a single 'cable' cable? Or with three RCA cables or some other method?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the digital tv, i thought didn't need a convertor box. I have the convertor box connected to the tv and the antenna is connected to the convertor box. i am using am amplified antenna on the digital tv. i don't have cable.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

What I am trying to do is establish if, at the location where the new TV is located, one of the converter boxes can get Ch 7.

I know you don't have cable.

How is the converter box connected to the new TV? With a single 'cable type' cable? Or with three RCA cables or some other method?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the convertor box is connected with the coaxial cable from box to tx and antenna to convertor box.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

Ok. I'm sorry this is taking a while but I'm getting there. :)

So now, does the cable box allow you to set a channel like 3 or 4 for the output?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, there is no setting on the convertor box. i have tried to set the digital on channel 3 or 4 to scan like i would with the analog and it doesn't go to those channels. nor can i use the convertor boxes remote to set the tv on channel 3 or 4
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry, but I forgot to mention that the digital tv worked before the noon transition time. and when i scanned the tv when i got home from work, it didn't.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

I'm not sure that I can help you. I will opt out and other experts may be able to figure it out.

Hold on.