Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I have a Toshiba Model 42H66 plasma TV. It made a loud crack,

Customer Question

I have a Toshiba Model 42H66 plasma TV. It made a loud crack, blew a LT4A250VP fuse, and the screen went black. The sound is OK. The TV is 19 months old, and had been red pixelating onn a blank screen for about 3 months before this happened. I replaced the fuse and turned it on. Another loud crack and no picture, not even the welcome screen. What do I need to replace?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Customer

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Did the fuse blow again the second time?

-Did you replace the fuse with the same amp rated fuse?

-Can you also please double check that model number?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1.) The new fuse blew immediately on power up along with the loud crack like a hard hand clap;

2.) The new fuse was an exact replacement;

3.) The model number take right from the set back( I have it off) is 42H66.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
what country is the tv from?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am really sorry, but the model number is XXXXX The P is sort of obliterated, but I found the number in another place on the TV.

The TV was assembled in Thailand.

Again, sorry for the screwup.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Thats more like it :) thanks for getting that I was going nuts trying to locate technician information for you.

Ok, I need to know what the location of the fuse is? (on the circuit board there should be a number printed near it, I need that number)

Also what board is the fuse on?

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Facing the rear, on the left side about 2/3 up from the bottom on the right edge of the circuit board, there are 2 fuses mounted(vertically, that is longways is up and down) next to each other. The left one is the one blowing.There is a white paper label on the bottom edge of the board. It says:

6871QYH053B

YSUS

KP42061J038720

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

can you send me a picture of the board?

(if you can post a picture, please click the icon above where you are typing with the green tree on it. This will allow you to upload a picture)

if not thats ok, I can answer your question just want to be 100% sure so I don't give you bad information.

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have to go out to a meeting for about 2 hours. Please repost the request, and I'll send the picture.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Ok sounds good.

Let me know!

Thanks,
Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

board with fuses shown

On the far right of this picture you can see the 2 fuses side by side. The left one blows. On the far left is a tall narrow board plugged into this one. It has many LSI's on it ( about 7 I think). See the next picture.

Left side

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

ok, unplug the narrow board (this is called a y buffer and some manufactures call them a scan driver) Unplug the board, replace the fuse and turn it on again. Does the fuse blow?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The fuse did not blow with the board unplugged.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

did the set come on?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got perfect sound as before but the fuse did not blow, nor did the display show any signs of life.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Do you know how to use a meter? if so i need you to check the voltage at the fuse

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Will it be DC or AC volts?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

dc, use the back of the panel as ground, any of the metal will work

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I get about 200 volts on the fuse.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

thats 200v on the fuse that is blowing right?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Correct.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

You need to replace that y-sus board, the part number is XXXXX

http://www.encompassparts.com/ is the best place to buy these at in my opinion, but you can choose anywhere you like.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is that the board with the fuses? or the tall narrow board?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
the board with the fuses, the 200v line feeds that board not the other one.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The web site you gave me only lists a 75003033 part number that is anywhere close to the number you gave me.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

https://www.encompassparts.com/webwiz/wwiz.asp?wwizmstr=WEB.SEE&partnumber=6817120

that should be the part you need.

Let me know if it doesnt work.

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I replaced the 70053031 board tonight. It was real fun. About 3.5 hours labor. Put it all back together, and turned the TV on. Sound, but no picture whatever. Funny, but the fuse did not blow this time. Oh well, I'm just gonna junk the TV. Never again with anything Toshiba.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

I am signing off for the night but thought I would send you a quick note first....

You made sure you have all of the wires plugged in correctly right?

Made sure you hooked up that tall an skinny board correctly?

just double check everything, this should have been cut and dry...

I will be back tomorrow if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I checked and double-checked all plugs. All are OK. On my High Performance LINUX servers at work, I have changed many motherboards with multiple CPUs, so I am familiar with all of those connectors, even the crappy edge connector on the YSUS board.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Well I guess there is the possibility that when the y-sus went bad it damaged other boards along with it, but considering ordering more parts means more money and no way to accurately diagnose it any further then I would say your previous statement about tossing it might be the best way to do? Sorry about your bad luck..

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you!

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not yoour fault. I found lots of people bitching about Toshiba plasma TVs on the internet. I just wish I had know 19 months ago about Toshiba. I bought it by name recognition. Oh well, live and learn. I am already looking at a Panasonic 42" plasma.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX good day!

Thank you,

Tim Nolan