Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS

I have the best old TV I purchased in 1991. 27 Magnavox

Customer Question

I have the best old TV I purchased in 1991. 27 " Magnavox console Model # XXXXX   18 years of perfect viewing !! I had to move the TV 5 feet to the left and plug it into another wall plug ( Not switched wall plug). The TV will not power up. Did the on-off unplug replug. I took the back off. checked fuse- OK, Checked to see if power cord had power to T V- OK. This TV is equipped with protective circuitry for lightning or power surges. Is there anything can be done on my part to try? I have new TV s but this one is just fun and would like to try to save it

Thank you
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 7 years ago.

Hi Larry

Hope your having a good daySmile

Their is no available info for this model because of its age I would guess its CRT format with a line output transformer (if its rear projection it will still have a line output transformer)

Philips Manavox are favourites for cold joints (or dry joints)if you feel up to it you need to get the chassis out with the line output transformer on,the chances are their will be dry joints on the transformer or therabouts,possibly around the powerpack too

This is why its gone off when you moved set,you brought forward something that was going to happen anyhow.If you are practicable and can handle a soldering iron it may be possible for a DIY

A disclaimer

Televisions are dangerous and the ht resevoir cap can hold its charge for many days after power down of the set.This information on an informative basis only.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you --Had hope for a simple fix. Will check the power pack and transformer for cold joints