Conrad, Technician
Experience:  Training on many types of consumer electronics, training on Sony Samsung and JVC

I have a Sony Trinitron XBR 36 TV. The standby LED is blinking

I have a Sony Trinitron XBR 36" TV. The standby LED is blinking 6 times when I plug the power supply to a surge but it blinks 7 times when I plug it straight into the wall outlet.
Category: TV
Expert:  Conrad replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for trusting us with your problem. Could you provide the model number of your Sony TV?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Model number is XXXXX KV-36XBR800
Expert:  Conrad replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the information. A shutdown with 6 and/or 7 blinks is usually caused by the failure of two IC's on the D board, which is the main power supply board. The two IC's are part of the TV's power supply drive circuit and when they fail they cause the symptoms you are having. On your set, the IC's are designated IC8002 and IC6501, they are both marked with the part number MCZ3001D and are available for purchase by clicking here
Replacing the IC's is not difficult, IF you have soldering skills and are aware of the proper safety procedures necessary when working on CRT type TV's. Please be aware that your set can store a lethal voltage charge long after the power is removed. A repair of this type done by a technician will usually run in the $350-$450 range, with the majority of that cost going to labor.
If you are satisfied with my answer, be sure to click on the green ACCEPT button. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask them. Thanks for using our service!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If I order this part from your link, are there additional instructions on how I can replace this chip? Also, do you have any recommended technicians or should I just call PC Richard technicians in the NY, Long Island area? Thanks.
Expert:  Conrad replied 7 years ago.
If you have no or little experience in soldering and TV repair, I would most definitely recommend you have a professional do this repair, as there is a significant risk of shock and it is easy to damage the circuit board. When it comes to Sony TV repairs, I would recommend you contact Sony customer service at(NNN) NNN-NNNNand ask if they have a Platinum servicer in your area. Sony's platinum servicers must have the proper, up to date training AND must maintain a high level of customer satisfaction through regular customer surveys.
Expert:  Conrad replied 7 years ago.
Don't forget to click on the green ACCEPT button! Thanks for letting me assist you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have previous soldering experience since I have an enginerring background. Where can I find the schematics for the IC's (IC8002 and IC6501) you mentioned above inside the TV? Or how can I find the part number, MCZ3001D? Is this something that you might have?
Expert:  Conrad replied 7 years ago.
Your best bet is to purchase a manual for your set; one is available for download for $16 by clicking HERE
Becuase the pcbd. is double sided and the chips can be difficult to remove, I recommend cutting the individual leads for the IC's and then wicking out the remaining lead wires. The IC's are marked with the part number MCZ3001D (may be marked MC3001DB; they are the same) and the schematic designations are marked on the printed circuit board.