Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

I have a Samsung 37 inch LCD TV Model LN37A550P3FXZA. After

I have a Samsung 37 inch LCD TV Model LN37A550P3FXZA. After being on a couple hours the picture goes black but hte sound stays on. I can even change channels and get the sound but no picture. If I turn it off and turn it back on the picture comes back but commonly will go off again after a time.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-When it goes black, if you press the menu button on the tv itself or the remote that came with the tv, does the menu show or the screen remain black?

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem on all inputs? (dvd, cable, satellite, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The TV is only a year old. The problem occurs when watching cable TV. I have not had it occur with a DVD but watching a DVD is much less frequent. I don't know that I have pressed the menu button so I can not answer that. I will have to have the problem occur again to check that out.

Ok please check that the next time it happens, it is key in getting you a accurate answer.

Let me know!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Other
I can now answer the questions that the technician asked
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The picture stays black with a DVD but I hear the sound. Whe n I press the MENU button the screen stays black.

Ok, next we need to know, when it goes black if you get the room as dark as possible, do you see a glow to the screen or is it completely black? (the glow will be hard to see but in a dark room you will know whether it is there or not)

Let me know!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am pretty sure it is completely black.

If it is going completely black then it will be difficult from here on out, there are two things that will most likely cause this to happen and one more that can but is unlikely....

The first two things that can cause this and are more likely to are the main board and the power supply, in order to know what board is causing the problem however you will need to be able to use a digital multi meter and possibly an oscilloscope. If you have these skills let me know and I will try to assist you in the troubleshooting of this tv. Otherwise a repairman will be required, if you take this into a shop for repair you can expect to pay around $ 250 for the power supply and $350 for the main board, you will need to decide if the set is worth this to you or not.

The other thing that can cause this but is not likely is the LCD panel itself has failed, if this is the case there is no repairing this tv because the part you would need is over $700 to replace and the set new doesn't cost much more than that.

I am sorry I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan