Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
13758627

52 Hitachi floor model TV w/rear projection colors do not

Customer Question

52" Hitachi floor model TV w/rear projection colors do not converge properly. Too much, red and blue. Tuner makes a very loud humming noise.
Category: TV
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 8 years ago.

Hi!

As far as the color issue goes, I think I know exactly what your problem is. And it would help to have the model number of the set.

I'm pretty sure you have a defective convergence output IC. Your set has two of these and they should both be replaced.

If you are handy with electronics and can solder and unsolder electronic components, you might be able to fix this yourself. I can give you some pointers if you feel comfortable doing this.

If you decide to call a tech, give him the make and model number, tell him what you told me and that you suspect a convergence output IC failure. He should immediately know exactly what to do, what parts to bring, and be able to fix it in your home in a little over an hour. Cost should be in the $300 range, depending on where you live.

As for the tuner making a loud humming sound, that's a little odd. If you let me know what you have connected to the tuner input (antenna or raw cable from the wall), I might be able to help you narrow that down. But it's possible that the tuner is defective, and since this TV probably doesn't have a digital ready tuner, you may not even need to pursue getting this fixed.

Good luck, let me know if you need anymore information regarding this issue, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Chuck, The model# XXXXX XXXXX Thank you for the info, I would like to try to repair it myself. Is it possible for us to talk by phone?

I'm afraid the rules of this forum don't allow me to talk to you by phone, so we need to do this here. And thanks very much for the Accept, by the way, it's very much appreciated.

Are you able to solder and unsolder electronic components? Do you have a DVM (voltmeter)? If so, you can proibably fix this.

But just to be sure we're on the same page, your convergence controls on this set are not working, correct?

Chuck

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Please note that I accepted the answer regarding my 52" TV, however, it does not show on my answers page. It still says "waiting for you". Is something wrong with this?
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 7 years ago.

No, not at all, I received your Accept, so thanks again, and let me know if I can help you further!

Chuck