Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I have an older toshiba TV, Model CF30E50, a large black band

I have an older toshiba TV, Model CF30E50, a large black band started appearing across the lower part of the screen, I switched tvs and it disappeared, I would like to know if you think this tv can be repaired and what you think the problem is. Thank You
Submitted: 5 years ago via PartStore.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Joe,

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-was the picture blocked by this band or was the picture moved up and shrunk down by the band?

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem on all inputs? (dvd, cable, satellite, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tim, this set was made in 1995, I have verizon cable box. I had a tech from verizon come to the house and he switched out the cable box and had the same problem with the new box, I then switched TV's and the problem cleared up. tThe black band does not shrink the picture, it just blocks a10 inch deep swath across the lower part of the screen. Also the cable box is digital, if I press the volume button and hold it down the band goes away, as soon as I take my finger off the volume button it returns. Hope this helps.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Joe,

I think the close caption is on and in the wrong mode (this is why the box is showing but not the words) we actually get this complaint quite often. Please look through the menu or on the remote and see if there is a close caption setting that you can turn off.

If this does not work or you have problems finding this please let me know and we will continue to figure this one out.

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.