PramitP
PramitP, Technician
Experience:  Diploma in Electrical and Electronics from AVV University
12720903

Tv comes on then the picture goes off but sound stays on.

Customer Question

Tv comes on then the picture goes off but sound stays on. Tv not a year old yet
Category: TV
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem.

Answer a few questions so that it would be easier for me to assist you further.

Does this happen while using any other input?

What is the model no.?

Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
PN42A450P1D
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
Does this happen while playing a DVD?

Does the picture die out suddenly?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Turn on TV and picture comes on for a second then goes off while sound stays on
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
Okay. Does this happen while playing a DVD or with any other input?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I disconected the DVD
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
okay. But does this happen to any other input such as DVI or HDMI etc.?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

HDM12 is only coming up. Can not get anything else on.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Menu screen comes on and stays

Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
Okay. It seems you'll need to check the X Y main boards. THere might be bad solder or loose connections or bad components(most likely).
I wish I had a "press-a-button" fix for this. But I'd suggest you to unplug it for 5-6 hours. If you want to repair it yourself then you should be having proper knowledge about the internal circuitry of the TV.
You should also require a multimeter and soldering equipments and schematics.
If you wish to take it to a repair shop would you like to have an idea of the cost of repair?
If you have any other queries then I would be glad to assist you further.

Regards.

Please click the green ACCEPT button if you like my help.
Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always appreciated
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So do you think I should have some one look at it. I can not start fixing this myself
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
Well I'd suggest you to get it checked by someone because Plasmas are generally different from tubes or lcds. If you have knowledge then only I would be able to guide you further. If you wish to take it to a repair shop would you like to have an idea of the cost of repair?

Regards.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I go into the TV mode it is set on entertainment and I think it use to be set on Standard. But it will not let me change it.
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
Okay. Can you change it manually?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
I'm pretty sure it is the main boards. They are usually known as X-Sustain and Y-Sustain. Have the unit looked by someone with proper equipments and knowledge. I'd guesstimate it to be a repair of maximum $450. The minimum being $300. If you have any other queries then I would be glad to assist you further.

Regards.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
oh thanks
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Regards.