PramitP
PramitP, Technician
Experience:  Diploma in Electrical and Electronics from AVV University
12720903

My Sharp Aquos started turning off by itself about two weeks

Customer Question

My Sharp Aquos started turning off by itself about two weeks ago. It would flash off and then turn back on -- no problem after that. Then the problem grew more and more frequent until this last weekend, it stopped turning on at all. What's up with it?
Category: TV
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem.

Answer a few questions so that it would be easier for me to assist you further.

What is the model no.?

Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am sending my son to get the model number for me. I will give it to you as soon as I get it.
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.

Okay. Take your time.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
LC-13B2U
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.

The problem seems to be with the power supply. There might be bad or burnt components such capacitors or rectifiers. Most of the times there are swollen caps which need replacement. I'd also suggest you to check the inverter board as well. The bad components are a result of heat or cold solders etc. If you want to repair it yourself then you should be having proper knowledge about the internal circuitry of the TV.
You should also require a multimeter and soldering equipments and schematics.
If you wish to take it to a repair shop would you like to have an idea of the cost of repair?
If you have any other queries then I would be glad to assist you further.

Regards.

Please click the green ACCEPT button if you like my help.
Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always appreciated
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The repair shop said that they could not fix it for less than the cost of replacement, but I don't know that they considered the nature of the problem. I had thought that this site was to get specific help on repair issues for Sharp televisions. Is this a problem that occurs frequently (the stopping and starting)? I did not expect to be referred to a repair shop.
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
Do you get sound after images go off?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No.
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
Then I don't think that the optical assembly will need replacement. The replacement of optical assembly is the cost of a new lcd tv. So it is most probably the power supply.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this a known problem with this model of Sharp TV? Is it likely to be the cord assembly or something actually inside the TV?
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
Do you mean you suspect a loose connection?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No -- I just know that the TV has worked fine and then suddenly started having on and off issues that worsened over a couple of weeks. If I am able to get the TV to go on at all now, it only stays on for a few minutes, but during that time, picture and sound are normal. I'm just trying to figure out, with your expertise and help, whether there's a known or probably cause that I could address myself, rather than taking it back out to the repair shop where they will doubtless tell me repairs will equal the cost of replacement. I just think it must be simpler than that given how the problem has occurred.
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
I wish I could have given you a "press-a-button" fix, but unfortunately it is not possible. Sometimes, certain problems get fixed after unplugging the TV for 4-5 hours. In this case, I would guesstimate the cost of repair to be around $300-$350. If you have any other queries then I would be glad to assist you further.

Regards.

PramitP, Technician
Experience: Diploma in Electrical and Electronics from AVV University
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for Accepting. Click here if you wish to leave a positive feedback.