Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

my tvs red light keeps blinking but wont power on..please

Customer Question

my tv's red light keeps blinking but wont power on..please help
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

happygyrl,

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem on all inputs? (dvd, cable, satellite, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Model LCT27O1TD jANUARY 2006...NO THIS IS THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS A PROBLEM TURNING ON..THERES A RED LIGHT IN THE MIDDLE IN FRONT THAT BLINKS..WHEN I TURN ON THE UNIT..I DONT EVEN HEAR IT CLICK BUT ITS BLINKING..I UNPLUGGED THE TV AND HOLD THE POWER BUTTON ON FOR A WHILE AND TURN IT ON BUT STILL ITS BLINKING....PLEASE HELP
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Can you tell if the light is blinking a code? (example 3 blinks, pause 3 blinks, repeat)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nope just continous red blinking no pauses in between, i even counted to see if after a series of numbers it would pause..but it doesnt, just continous blinking..
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Well heres the bad news......

You have either a bad power supply or main board, one of the two would need to be replaced. I looked them up to see what we were going to be looking at and found that both parts are not available. Meaning there is no way to repair the set because AKAI didn't make the spare parts for it.

I am sorry to give you this answer because I know you were hoping for a quick fix or easy answer but unfortunately the answers don't come much worse than this. I am sorry, if you have any more questions or would like more information please let me know, I am here to help!

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am sure there is still a way to fix the Akai..can you do more research..others that i've read here had answers and solutions to their problems..
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

I normally have solutions for problems as well but unfortunately the boards in your set are no longer available. However I did just think of one thing....Do you know how to solder?

There might be couple of bad capacitors in the power supply causing this problem that is about our only hope at this point. If you can take the back off the set and take a picture of the boards inside and post it to me I will look at the caps and see if any are bad. We might get lucky and have a fix yet.

(if you can post a picture, please click the icon above where you are typing with the green tree on it. This will allow you to upload a picture)

Please let me know!

Thanks,
Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do you open the back of the TV..i have no clue about mechanical things but if you walk me through it i might be able to do it..taking a picture is not a problem..
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

You will want to lay it down on its face on a soft surface (a bed is great) If it is on a stand, take the stand off by removing the screws near the bottom middle of the screen holding it on. Then take all the screws out of the back (most are around the edges) until it comes off. Once the back is off be careful you dont want to touch anything if you don't know what you are doing!

Let me know if you are having any problems, if you get stuck and cannot describe the problem you are having take a picture so I can see as well.

Let me know!

Thanks,

Tim