Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I have a polaroid flat screen tv. When you turn it on the picture

I have a polaroid flat screen tv. When you turn it on the picture will come on for 2 seconds then we lose the picture but we still have sound.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 7 years ago.
Customer

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem on all inputs? (dvd, cable, satellite, ect.)

-When it goes black, if you press the menu button does the menu show?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

not sure model, its mounted on wall. Its a 32" (no dvd combo).

Unit is 3 yrs old.

Problem same with all inputs.

Menu does not show when it goes black.

We tried unplugging it from wall as well as cable outlet.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 7 years ago.

Can you get the room dark and let me know if you see a slight glow to the screen when it goes black?

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
there is no glow
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately I don't think you are going to be happy here...

The problem you are describing is very consistent with the complaint we get on allot of these flat panels. The symptom you are describing about 90% of the time ends up being a bad LCD panel and because of the price of repair the set becomes non-repairable. The LCD panel part always cost more than a new tv, which is not good for the consumer (you).

Like I said this is the case about 90% of the time, but without troubleshooting the set we cannot know for sure, there will be no quick or easy fix on this one, only board replacement or a bad panel. If you have some electronic repair experience, and have test equipment we can troubleshoot this problem together. If you do not a new tv or repairman will be required.

I am sorry to give you this answer, I know you were looking for a quick fix or magic answer, but I just don't have one on this problem, sorry.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If the panel is out, why does it come on for a few seconds before we lose the picture. If a light bulb is burnt out, it won't come on again. It just doesn't make sense to me.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 7 years ago.

It is actually very common we have replaced hundreds of LCD panels under warranty for this exact same symptom, what is happening is the panel is shorting out right after turn on, it cannot handle doing what it needs to do so it shuts right off right away. A LCD panel is not the same as a light bulb, the two cannot be compared. It would be more like a florescent light bulb that flickers on and off when it is bad, it just cannot stay on because it is to weak.

Let me know if you have more questions or need more clarification, I am here to help!

Thanks,

Tim