Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

why does my TV turn off and on constantly by itself

Customer Question

its a samsung flatscreen, big, with no buttons on it. we watched TV 5 minutes before it started doing this. i went to turn on the TV and put the remote down on the couch. the dog probably jumped on the couch because i later came back from the kitchen to find the remote wedged between the cusions while the TV was turning off and on with no signals or picture from it. The remote does not have anything to do with it (I think) because we took the batteries out of the remote and it still turns off and on. I really don't want to call a technitian. please help!!
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Customer

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)

-How old is the unit?

- There is no buttons on the tv? not even power button?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

model number: lv46a750r1fxza

the unit is pretty new, not sure how old.

i have been looking everywhere for a powerbutton and havn't found anything.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

I cannot find that model number in any database, what country is it from?

can you please verify that that is the correct model number?

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry bro, LN46a750r1fxza had the second letter wrong
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

So the picture turns on and off on and off on and off? Is this correct?

Does it do this on all inputs?

What does the power light do on the front?

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yeah it turns off and on. I have tried it on two different outlets. the red light blinks twice and you can hear the TV click when it turns back on. The TV also stays on for about 10 seconds

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Do you have any electronic repair experience, and test equipment?

Are you trying to repair this yourself or trying to get a good idea of whats wrong and how much it will cost? What kind of info are you looking for. Please let me know so I know where to take my answer!

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well i dont want to repair it myself. i just want to know what happened, if it was really my fault, and how much it is going to cost
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Ok well there are allot of answered here.

The problem you are describing can be caused by multiple things (just about everything in the set)

That looks like a newer model number, is it under warranty? If so you need to call Samsung right away.

If not read below...

If the power supply is causing the problem it could run you $300 to fix it

If the LCD panel is causing the problem it will cost more to repair it than it will to replace it.

If the main board is causing the problem it could cost up to $700 to fix the problem.

The only way to find what is causing the problem is with a multi meter and some diagnosis, so this is as close to an answer as I can get for you.

I don't think there is any way you could have caused this problem.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan