Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
3134513

I have a floor model zenith color tv that is over 25 yrs old.When

Customer Question

I have a floor model zenith color tv that is over 25 yrs old.When I hooked up the DTV converter box with a digital antenna, changed it to channel 3 and did the channel auto search as diected. Now I only recieve channel 55.1, 55.2, 55.3 and I cannot use the remote that came with the converter box to change the channels
Category: TV
Expert:  Edward replied 7 years ago.

Hi Customer. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is your zip or postal code?

Does the remote that came with the converter box not control any functions of the converter?

What is the model number of the converter box?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The model number isn't available at this time. Can I send it later? My zip code is 77033. The remote control that came with the converter only allows the menu options to appear and you can navigate or select within the menu options. Once the auto channel search and set up are complete the remote will not change the channels from the only 3 digital channels 55.1,55.2 and 55.3. It will provide "program info" about the 3 digital stations that it can pick up of 55.1, 55.2 and 55.3.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 years ago.

Please click here and enter the information requested. This will tell you what antenna you are going to need to get the channels in your area. I suspect that the problem you are having now is not providing a sufficient signal. After reviewing the information in the link, you have additional questions, please ask. If you need to purchase an antenna please click here.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The model number to the Zenith TV is B2504gc...
The MAGNAVOX DTV digital to analog converter model number is XXXXX . The PHILLIPS digital antenna model number is XXXXX
Expert:  Edward replied 7 years ago.

From the information you have provided I expect the antenna is not providing a sufficient signal to the converter to allow it to work correctly. The signal needs to be stronger for the digital channels to work correctly. I suspect you will need to use an outdoor antenna to get satisfactory results. Please review the information in the links I provided and let me know if you have additional questions.