Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.

Im getting 5 blinks on my Sony KP51WS510 projection tv.

I'm getting 5 blinks on my Sony KP51WS510 projection tv. And the red color seems to

be coming off (separating from the image)...

You may have a couple of different problems going on here. Were you noticing the problem with the red before the set started shutting down?

And now, when you turn it on, it just shuts off right away with 5 blinks?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hey Chuck.... No sir..

The set doesn't shut down.. It stays on, but it blinks constantly... Well it blinks that code then pauses then blinks rthe cose...

The worse thing is the picture... the red images or color seperating from the actual image... Thanks

Just to be sure I understand, if you turn the TV on, it blinks the code. Can you then turn the TV off, or do you have to unplug it from the wall?

If you can turn it off without unplugging it, can you then turn it back on and have it blink the code?

And you currently get no picture at all, but before this happened, you were getting the red separation, correct?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I can turn the set on and off normally... The TV works, I have a picture, the set stays on till I turn it off in the evening.

I'm asking because I figured that blinking code would explain the red seperation issue.

No, it doesn't and I have no idea why it would do that. The blinking code is what the LED does once the set shuts down.

But if you otherwise have a picture, but it looks sort of like 3D without the glasses effect, you have a defective convergence output IC. Your set has two of these and they should both be replaced.

If you are handy with electronics and can solder and unsolder electronic components, you might be able to fix this yourself. I can give you some pointers if you feel comfortable doing this.

If you decide to call a tech, give him the make and model number, tell him what you told me and that you suspect a convergence output IC failure. He should immediately know exactly what to do, what parts to bring, and be able to fix it in your home in a little over an hour. Cost should be in the $300 range, depending on where you live.

Good luck, let me know if you need anymore information regarding this issue, and thanks for using JustAnswer!