Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.

I have a 10 year old Sony big screen TV which is suddenly is

I have a 10 year old Sony big screen TV which is suddenly is separating the red and green colors at the bottom of the screen. Is this an indication of a big problem or worth having looked at for a repair? The TV has been perfect until now, and I don't want the expense of a new one if possible.

Thanks for your help,

Category: TV
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 7 years ago.

Hi, Flora!

It's definitely worth having repaired, in my opinion.

You have a defective convergence output IC. Your set has two of these and they should both be replaced.

If you are handy with electronics and can solder and unsolder electronic components, you might be able to fix this yourself. I can give you some pointers if you feel comfortable doing this.

If you decide to call a tech, give him the make and model number, tell him what you told me and that you suspect a convergence output IC failure. He should immediately know exactly what to do, what parts to bring, and be able to fix it in your home in a little over an hour. Cost should be in the $300 range, depending on where you live.

Good luck, let me know if you need anymore information regarding this issue, and thanks for using JustAnswer!