Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
3134513

how do i know if my dlp is broken or just has a loose connection

how do i know if my dlp is broken or just has a loose connection? picture goes in and out
Category: TV
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number of the TV? The model number will be displayed on a tag on the back of the TV near where the power cord is attached.

How long have you owned the TV?

What have you tried to correct the problem?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Edward,

It is a 47 inch tv that is about 4 years old. This may sound cheesy but its not really broken, i purchased a samsung dlp tv and an extended warranty. The tv and warranty were almost $5,000.00 and the warranty that was 500 in itself never got used. I understand that dlp tv have some part that goes bad after a few years. We have had this tv for almost 4 years and I would like the part that goes bad to be replaced so the warranty isn't a total loss. I understand if maybe this goes against morals, but my husband is a coal miner and works so hard for our money that I feel like we really got ripped and just don't want to have the warranty run out and then it goes bad for real!

Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

One of the most expensive parts on the TV that is known to cause problems is the light engine. The color wheel is another common part that can go bad. Of course the lamp will need to be changed as it ages. Heat is the enemy of electronics, and these sets operate hot. These sets are assembled using the wave soldering process they are known for having cold solder connections. The safety circuitry shuts the TV set down when it detects a problem. This TV has over 3,000 parts which include millions of transistors inside the integrated circuits. The capacitors will change value, leak and become defective. Resistors will change value and burn. Integrated circuits and transistors can go bad. This can cause other components to become defective, which can have a domino effect and cause other parts to fail. Replacing one defective part may make the TV operate for a short time but the part will fail again since if the parts that caused the failure to begin with are not replaced. The only way to know for sure what is causing the problem, which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment and the skills to use the test equipment. Does this answer your question?

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your Just Answer's account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what does the tv act like when it needs a lamp replaced?
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

Lamp failure is not normally covered under warrenty. When the lamp needs to be replaced the TV can just shut down after it has been on for awhile, it can fail to tum on and display lights on the TV that indicate the lamp has failed. The color wheel when going bad will make a loud squealing noise. Click here for information on problems the light engine can cause. This link is for a Sony but most of the information is applicable. Another problem that can occur is convergence ICs failing. This will cause the TV to look like it is 3D. Lots of colored shadows.

Regards,

Edward

Note: If the icons or other text makes the page unreadable please refresh the page. Sorry for this inconvenience.

Edward, Technician
Experience: 40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the accept and the positive feedback. If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them. I hope you will return to Just Answer again. Please tell your friends about Just Answer. In the future you can request me personally if you wish.

There is no need to reply to this post unless you have additional questions. It will only generate a request for me to reply to your post.

Regards,

Edward