Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
3134513

A 2007 42 Panasonic Viera Flatscreen television

I have a 2007 42'' Panasonic Viera Flatscreen television that just recently stopped working. When the set is turned on, the power LED turns on and the set sound powers up like normal, then the LED begins to flash and there is no picture. What can be done to fix this?
Category: TV
Expert:  Edward replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number of the TV? The model number will be displayed on a tag on the back of the TV near where the power cord is attached.

How long have you owned the TV?

What have you tried to correct the problem?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well, when I switch the television on, it sounds like it is powering up, but after that the LED indicator starts blinking, there is no picture. I have only owned this Panasonic 42'' Viera plasma television for less than two years and I have tried to fix this problem on my own.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 years ago.
Heat is the enemy of electronics, and these plasma sets operate hot. You might wish to unplug the TV for an hour or more. If this power reset does not allow the TV to turn on component failure is indicated. These sets are assembled using the wave soldering process they are known for having cold solder connections. This model is known for having issues with their power supplies failing but other parts may also be out of the needed specifications. The safety circuitry shuts the TV set down when it detects a problem. This model of TV has over 3,000 parts which include millions of transistors inside the integrated circuits. The capacitors will change value, leak and become defective. Resistors will change value and burn. Integrated circuits and transistors can go bad. This can cause other components to become defective, which can have a domino effect and cause other parts to fail. Replacing one defective part may make the TV operate for a short time but the part will fail again since if the parts that caused the failure to begin with are not replaced. The only way to know for sure what is causing the problem, which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment and the skills to use the test equipment. I wish I could tell you there was a quick fix or button to push that would fix the TV but that is not the case or the solution needed to get the TV operating correctly.

If you wish to repair it yourself what type of electronic training do you have?

What type of TV test equipment do you own?

Do you own and know how to operate an oscilloscope?

If you decide this is not something that you can do I expect this repair will be about $250 to $450, depending on how many parts are found to be out of factory specifications, if the problem is a bad circuit board, and if the board can be repaired or has to be replaced. A small TV repair shop will often charge less for the repair than a large electronics repair facility.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your Just Answer's account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately, I do not have an oscilloscope or my own tv testing equipment and I purchased this set at Best Buy, so do you think they would be able to make repairs on my television, or do you think it would just be better if I purchase a new, better set?
Expert:  Edward replied 7 years ago.

The TV should be worth repairing. I will not suggest that it be repaired by Best Buy unless you just want to spend more for the repair. A small TV repair shop will normally provide better pricing for the repair.

Regards,

Edward

Note: If the icons or other text makes the page unreadable please refresh the page. Sorry for this inconvenience.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the advice and I will most definitely see if I can get this repaired.

Thank you again.Customer
Expert:  Edward replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the accept and the bonus. If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them. I hope you will return to Just Answer again. Please tell your friends about Just Answer. In the future you can request me personally if you wish. Positive feedback is very important to me. Please leave feedback when you get a chance. Click here if you wish to leave feedback.

There is no need to reply to this post unless you have additional questions. It will only generate a request for me to reply to your post.

Regards,

Edward