Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
13758627

Sony FD Trinitron WEGA KV-36HS420 36 TV Blinks problem

Sony FD Trinitron WEGA KV-36HS420 36" TV Blinks problem
Category: TV
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 7 years ago.

Hi!

Unplug the TV from the AC power. Plug it back in. Try to turn it on. If it comes on, then shuts down, the front panel stand-by LED will flash a certain number of times. It will pause, then repeat the flash sequence. This is an error code, and helps us diagnose the problem. Let us know the flash sequence, and we'll go from there.

Chuck

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Done that and it still flashes 7 times, pauses and flashes 7 times over and over.

OK, let me research this and I'll be back in a few.

Chuck

OK, I'm pretty sure I know what's wrong.

You almost certainly have two IC's in the power supply that need to be replaced. Only one is causing a problem, but they should both be replaced. You may be able to make the set come on if you try the power button enough times, that's how the IC's behave.

If you have electronics experience and can solder and unsolder electronics components, you might be able to do this yourself, but it's a fairly daunting challenge for the uninitiated.

This set has them located on a double sided PC board (the DZ Board) and it is much more difficult to service than a single sided PC board. You need specialized desoldering equipment to remove the IC's, and frankly, many otherwise so-so TV shops can't handle this. It's the rare servicer who has the ability to do this with care and skill.

When I encounter this board, I have to take the board away from the customer's home and work on it at my shop where I can do this procedure. Ballpark cost would be $350, and that's a little higher than it might be if it was a single sided PC board, because this board is so much more difficult to work on.

But the parts are IC6501 and IC8002, located on the DZ Board, and the generic part number is XXXXX You can order it by that part number from MCM Electronics. The Sony part number is XXXXX

One other possibility for you is to contact PTS Corp. and see if they can rebuild the board for you.

Hope that helps, let me know if you'd like more info on this, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Is there anything else I can do for you?

If you found my advice helpful, would you mind clicking the Accept icon so that I may be paid for my time? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Chuck