Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
13758627

why cant i see picture in my tv

Customer Question

why can't i see picture in my tv?
Category: TV
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 5 years ago.

Hi!

What's the make and model number of the TV?

Do you have another source (like a DVD player) connected to the set, and if so, does it have this problem also?

Did this just show up one day all of a sudden?

Let me know!

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

its a zenith big screen tv.. older model... 93 zenith avi big screen... model # XXXXX XXXXX When I turn the nintendo wii on i can hear it just fine but when switch back to tv... nothing but static. It was working fine this morning then I unplugged the cable to rearrange them so i could quit tripping over it and when I plugged it back up thats when i couldnt hear sound anymore. i know its not the cable b/c I plugged it into the other tv and everything is fine. This is the first time i have had this problem. however, i did just remember that sometimes the volume will be distorted but then i turn the set off for a minute or so and everything is just fine.... I have tried everything this time and nothing... I even called zenith customer service and he told me to unplug it for about a minute and when I plugged it back up, i couldnt even see a picture..... he suppose to be calling me back..... I JUST NEED HELP WITH MY TV.... PLZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. the only reason I didnt pay yhe $30 up front is b/c my card has like $5 on it and my cash is in my wallet(yeah, some good that does me right now, huh?) otherwise i would definately pay online upfront b/c i need my tv to work.... it was too expensive to just throw away. My number is XXXXX if you can please help me i would greatly appreciate it. PPPLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, this doesn't sound too serious.

Right now, if you turn it on and go back to the Wii, everything is OK, picture and sound, correct?

And if you go back to TV, all you get is static and TV snow on the screen, correct?

And for TV, do you have just the cable from the wall going into the TV or does it come from a cable set top box?

BTW, I have nothing to do with the money, I just answer the questions!

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
with the wii, everything is crystal clear-picture and sound perfect..... when i go back to tv, i can see a picture but cannot hear anything but static... I have the cable from the wall... and it works fine in my other tv. I even pushed the big tv to where the cable is going into the other tv and it wouldnt work on the big screen but when i put it back in the other tv... clear picture and sound.... thats crazy.

Do you use a cable box?

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no... hadnt needed one.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, haven't needed one yet.

OK, well if this problem is happening on all channels that you try to tune in, you have a problem with the TV's tuner. The Wii input doesn't use the tuner, that's why it works OK.

You have two options. First, you can call a tech and have him fix the tuner. I wouldn't recommend this. This is an old TV and I wouldn't put so much as a dime into it. This repair would be in the $300 range.

What I would do is have your cable company give you a cable box that has audio and video outputs on it just like the Wii does. Hooki it up to the TV just like you did the Wii, and there you go!

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Is there anything else I can do for you?

If you found my advice helpful, would you mind clicking the Accept icon so that I may be paid for my time? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Chuck