Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech, Master Electronic Technician
Experience:  Nearly 4 decades of installing and repairing TV's of all types.

How long does Samsung LED TVs last compared to a LCD.

Customer Question

How long does Samsung LED TV's last compared to a LCD.
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan - Master Tech replied 7 years ago.
GreetingsCustomer I assume you are referring to the backlight used in the new line of Samsung TV's. What the new TV's have is an LED light array that takes the place of the CCFL (cold cathode flourescent) lamps and inverters used in previous TV's. The panel is still an LCD and the manufacturer is confusing the public with their advertising. While OLED (organic light emitting diode) screen technology is looming on the horizon, it is still quite expensive and not available in large screen sizes.
The potential for the LED backlight to outlast the older CCFL lamps is quite good. Since the LED has a longer projected lifespan as well as lower energy requirements (total energy savings of at least 40%) which result in less generated heat, the equipment should last longer overall. Bear in mind that the basic design of the TV's has not changed, just the backlight technology, and the potential for technical problems in other circuitry will no doubt be the same.

If you need additional information or clarification, please let me know.