Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
13758627

my Sony TV is making a large buzzing or humming noise. It

Customer Question

my Sony TV is making a large "buzzing" or humming noise. It has been happening for some time but then would go away and now it's increasingly louder and louder and doesn't stop. I'm suspecting some sort of pet hair in a fan mechanism as the culprit.
Category: TV
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 5 years ago.

Hi!

What's the model number of the TV?

Also, I'm guessing that this noise is coming from the back of the set and not the loudspeakers?

And if it were being caused by debris in the fan, you'd hear it revv up when you turn the power on, then slow down when you turn the power off. Does it do that?

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
model number:kf-42we610. Yes, it's coming from the back of the set. I took the back plastic cover off and saw the fan and it is not coming from the fan, it's coming from somewhere deeper inside. But it does ramp up and ramp down when I turn it off. It will still last for awhile even when I turn the tv off and unplug it from the wall and then I here a "click" and the very end. It would only last a short time before, but now, it's constant.

Well then it's definitely a fan, there are a few fans in the set, but it's probably not noisy from any debris, it's just that these fans sometimes get noisy.

If you can locate the fan, you can most likely replace it yourself, and if we can identify it, I can get you the part number and a place to order it, and give you advice on how to do it.

It will have to be that exact fan, though, because these fans have a sensor wire that detects whether or not the fan is running. If it doesn't sense the fan running, the set won't even turn on.

See if you can pinpoint where in the set the noise is coming from while I download the service data.

Chuck

OK, I just looked at the manual, and there are two fans in the set. You found the first one, which isn't causing the problem.

The second one is a "squirrel cage" fan, and is located on top of the optical block.

As I said, you can replace this fan, it's just that it's a fairly big disassembly procedure. It's not impossible, but it will be a reasonably big deal for the first time servicer.

The part number is XXXXX and you can order it from Encompass.

I can describe how to remove the optical block to allow you access to the top where the fan is located, but you might want to consider downloading the service manual from

Servicemanuals.net for about $16.

Let me know if you'd like any more help, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience: Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the service manual for my TV model doesn't appear on the servicemanual.net website you referenced. If you are aware of it's location, can you post the link please?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thank you so much, I kept adding the dash and then no spaces and nothing was coming up and it was madening paging through all those pages. Looks like I had to add a space in the model number search, not the dash.

Also, I see there is an "alternative" fan to the fan you mentioned for around $20 and the one you recommended is $86. Just wondering why there is such a difference in price. I know you said I have to get that exact one, but what's the alternative for then? Just curious.

If Encompass says it will work, I would trust them. They'll always take it back if it doesn't.

but I don't know anything about that other fan, I always try to use factory authorized parts.

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok. they are both Sony fans. Just one says it's much cheaper than the other so I was wondering what the differences were.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Per your message:

"I can describe how to remove the optical block to allow you access to the top where the fan is located, but you might want to consider downloading the service manual from

Servicemanuals.net for about $16"

I downloaded the manual and it was of no use. It's more how to hook up components than getting into the guts of the mechanics.

Could you still describe how to remove the optical block you mentioned in your prior message?

You must have downloaded the Owners manual, not the service manual. The service manual doesn't have any of that hookup stuff in it.

Take the back off of the set. There are 11 screws.

Once you do that, you have to remove the center pillar (see below). There are 3 ground wires you have to remove, each has a tiny tongue in the middle that you have to depress.

graphic

Then you have to slide the electronics chassis out slightly. Just lift it slightly and it should begin to slide out. Position it a little to the left. There is a fan on the right that you'll have to remove, see below. Then you will have to loosen 3 screws in the optical block, and you need a 9 inch #2 Phillips screwdriver to reach these. Once that's done the optical block will begin to come out. Be very careful of the connector on the side with the fine blue wires, it's very fragile. Undo any wire clamps that you need to undo to get enough wire length to pull the block out. Try to disconnect as few connectors as possible. If you have to disconnect the fragile one with the blue wires, pinch the edge of the connector to unlock it. Be very careful when you re-assemble this.

graphic

Now just look for the round assembly at the top with the fan in it, disassemble that, and replace the fan.

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Great thanks. I downloaded the service manual from the link you sent me. It says "Service manual" on the front cover. I have the pics you sent but guess I was looking for something more descriptive and a visual location as far as the fan goes.

Those pictures I provided are right out of the service manual.

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well, I took it all apart, replaced the fan, carefully put it all back together, plugged it in, everything worked, sound, picture, and the loud humming noise was STILL there. Maybe it's a bulb burning out. I have no idea what else it could be.

Bulbs don't make any buzzing noise that I'm aware of.

I just checked the database of known problems, and I'm afraid that there is no report of anything like this.

One trick is to take a long screwdriver and place the tip of it at different suspect places where you think the sound may be coming from, and place your ear in contact with the butt of the screwdriver. The sound will transmit down the shaft of the screwdriver to your ear, and you can localize it that way.

By the way, you were careful to install the little blue shock absorbers for the fan, right?

Sorry I can't be more specific, but if there's anything else I can do for you, please let me know!

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This is what I've been reading if you're interested. http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11217&forum=34&start=0&select_page_number=1

Owners of this tv are saying that model has a known issue with the bulbs being faulty and making a "buzzing" noise. But I still don't beleive a bulb would be making such a loud noise. It sounds like a motor type noise. Not sure what to do. I may just have to bite the bullet and have a tech come out and look at it.

Back in early april you said:

>>But it does ramp up and ramp down when I turn it off.<<

A lamp would definitely not do that. I think the buzzing they are referring to is much quieter and sounds more like a steady state bumble bee sound. It would definitely not ramp up and down like a fan or a motor.

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That is true and still true. I guess I have no idea what it is then. I'll have to have a service tech come out and look at it.

Well, sorry, but let me know what you find, and best of luck to you!

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I know I already accepted your answer and paid. But I just wanted to keep you informed in case you come across this issue again. I replaced the squirrel cage fan as we discussed, and replaced the lamp. And the humming sound is still there. It does ramp up and down when I turn the tv on and off. The only thing left, since those are the only fans you said are in the tv, is the optical engine/engine block. There must be something moving inside some place else (like an engine or motor that needs an oil change sound) in center of the tv.

Hey, thanks for keeping me informed, I really do want to know what you find.

But I can guarantee you that there is no mechanical noise generating device inside the optical block. Believe me, optical blocks have their share of problems, but this isn't one of them.

If the sound ramps up and down with the power, it just has to be a fan.

Chuck