Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.

I have a phillips tv model #pl5125 c121 it was programmed for

I have a phillips tv model #pl5125 c121 it was programmed for use in a motel. I bought it and need to access the menu but can't. is there any ay to un program the motel mode?
Category: TV
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. This TV may be set up to use a master remote control that can be purchased by clicking here. If the Hotel had a system like lodgenet then the TV has a hard coded channel selection built into a special piggyback board so that the TV can only receive the channels the hotel has set up. The TV will have to be reprogrammed/Unlocked which the hotels engineer would have to do with a RED remote or piggyback box (which plugs into a phone cord looking socket if the TV has a serial connection), This is a special unit that will access the special internal setup menu and allow the TV to be unlocked for all menus and channels.This is a very common problem when purchasing Hotel and Motel TV sets. The sets should be deprogrammed before they are sold but most will not take the time to do that.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your Just Answer's account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Note: If the icons or other text makes the page unreadable please refresh the page. Sorry for this inconvenience.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the tv worked before we moved and sat unplugged for a couple of weeks now it won't access the upper channels. it did before and now it don't any help will be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

What is being used to supply the signal to the TV?

Do you have a DVD or a VCR connected to it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no dvd or vcr only a cable.

Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.
Can you get channel 3 or 4 on the TV?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes 3 works because my son plays his video games on this t.v. also
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

The master remote can be purchased using the link above but it is expensive. A cheap work around will be to connect a VCR that has a turner on it. If you do not have a VCR with a tuner many Thrift Shops have them for less than $20. This will allow you to use the VCR's tuner to get the higher channels.

Regards,

Edward

Edward, Technician
Experience: 40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what is the difference between a remote and a master remote. I was already thinking about hooking up a vcr already. I'll go ahead and accept the answer. please let me know what is the difference between a remote and a master remote. thanks for your help. steven
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

The master remote will allow the channels to be programmed unless the set has a system like lodgenet. Then a special remote that is not available to the public is used. The normal remote that was put in the hotel or motel room will only operate the basic features of the TV but will not allow the channels to be programmed. Thank you for the accept and the positive feedback. If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them. I hope you will return to Just Answer again. Please tell your friends about Just Answer. In the future you can request me personally if you wish.

There is no need to reply to this post unless you have additional questions. It will only generate a request for me to reply to your post.

Regards,

Edward