Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
3134513

Samsung TV powers off by itself few minutes after turning on

Customer Question

Why is the Samsung TV turning off by itself after a few minutes of it being on?

Category: TV
Expert:  Edward replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

It would help us to know the following information:

What is the model number of the TV? The model number will be displayed on a tag on the back of the TV near where the power cord is attached.

Could you explain your situation a little more?

How long have you owned the TV?

What have you tried to correct the problem?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Model number is ***** Samsung 50" DLP 1080p.

We have had it for about a 1.5 years. The problem just started last night and we haven't tried anything yet.

What happens is we turn the TV on and it will stay on for 5 to 10 minutes and then it will shut off on its own.

Expert:  Edward replied 7 years ago.

This can often be caused by a lamp that is starting to go bad. as the light gets older it will draw more than it should. The safety circuit in the TV will shut it down when it detects a problem. There could be other parts that are no longer within the needed specifications but I suspect that replacing the lamp will correct the problem.

If replacing the lamp does not correct the problem these sets are assembled using the wave soldering process they are known for having cold solder connections. The safety circuitry shuts the TV set down when it detects a problem.

This model of TV has over 3,000 parts which include millions of transistors inside the integrated circuits. The capacitors will change value, leak and become defective. Resistors will change value and burn. Integrated circuits and transistors can go bad. This can cause other components to become defective, which can have a domino effect and cause other parts to fail. Replacing one defective part may make the TV operate for a short time but the part will fail again since if the parts that caused the failure to begin with are not replaced.

The only way to know for sure what is causing the problem, which parts are no longer within factory specs and for proper repair, all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment and the skills to use the test equipment.

I wish I could tell you there was a quick fix or button to push that would fix the TV but that is not the case or the solution needed to get the TV operating correctly.

If you wish to repair it yourself what type of electronic training do you have?
What type of TV test equipment do you own?
Do you own and know how to operate an oscilloscope?

If you decide this is not something that you can do, I expect this repair will be about $150 to $350, depending on how many parts are found to be out of factory specifications. If the problem is a bad circuit board and if the board can be repaired or has to be replaced, a small TV repair shop often charges less for the repair than a large electronics repair facility.

Should you require further clarification, please don't hesitate to ask.