Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

mitsubishi 62525 dlp problems - My TV turns off after about

Customer Question

mitsubishi 62525 dlp problems - My TV turns off after about 1-2 minutes and the red light comes on. The fan does not sound right to me. Could I have a bad fan? If so, can you tell me how to replace the fan and how difficult is it?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Jeff,

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem.

When you say fan does not sound right, is there any way you can elaborate on that? Is it a loud griding noise? is it constant? when the set shuts off how long does the noise continue? What area of the set does the sound seem to be coming from? Any more information on this would be helpful.

Also for the 1-2 minutes that the set is on, how does the picture look? Are there any other problems? Also does the tv say anything on the screen before it shuts off?

Please give me this information so I can better assist you.

Thank you,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey Tim,
The fan sounding funny was more it would run even after the set had been off for quite some time...run much longer than normal. The fan is not making any unfamiliar noises.
The picture does not come on...black screen. I get sound but no picture.
I just replaced the lamp about 2-3 months ago so I hope that is okay.
Thanks,
Jeff
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

I would first take the lamp out and just take a quick peak at it to make sure it didn't shatter on you. If the lamp looks good then put it back in and try to start the set again.

Let me get another thing straight here....When you press the power button, im guessing the light comes on green for 1-2 minutes, and then what happens? does another light come on? Do all lights go off? what happens at that point?

Also what do you do to get it to come back on again? just press the power button or do you need to unplug it, plug it back in and then press the power button again?

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will check the lamp.

You are correct, the light is green, I push the on button and the TV sound and fan comes on with no picture. TV stays on for 1-2 minutes and shuts down and the red light comes on. I have to unplug the TV to clear the red light.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will check the lamp. You are correct, the light is green, I push the on button and the TV sound and fan comes on with no picture. TV stays on for 1-2 minutes and shuts down and the red light comes on. I have to unplug the TV to clear the red light.

Also, the fan was running sometimes for hours before we noticed (this was during the last week or so). Sometimes I would unplug the TV to get the fan to shut off.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Jeff,

I think the fan on this model over the DM never stops spinning, you may be noticing a problem with the fan if its making a louder than normal noise. It most likely was so quiet before that you never noticed it. So the fan may be a problem, however usually the set will come on with a bad fan for a min with a picture and display something like "fan not working set will shut down in 1 min"

Next time you turn the set on and it shuts off and you get the red light I want you to press the DEVICE and MENU buttons at the same time for about 5 seconds at which time the power LED will start flashing a two digit error code. The error code could be anything but for example if it was a error code of 35, the light would blink 3 times then pause then blink 5 times pause 3 times pause 5 times pause. It will repeat this several times. Please let me know what error code you are getting.

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tim,
I will have to check this tomorrow evening after 6:00pm (EST).

I checked the lamp an it appears to be good.

Thanks and I will let you know tomorrow night.

Jeff
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, i turned the TV on and when it went off and the red light came on, I depressed the device and menu buttons at the same time...no code came on the screen. The red light came on and the green timer light began to blink (for about 30 seconds and went off). The red light stayed on.

I have not seen a display that "fan not working set will shut down in 1 min".
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
that light blinking should have been the code we were looking for, can you try it again and see if you can decipher a code
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did try to count the blinking green light...it looked like it blinked 3 times paused and blinked 4 times...then repeated.
Could that be what you need?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

This error code is lamp abnormality, this may or may not mean that you have a bad lamp. I know your model very well and I would say chances are the lamp is fine and the power supply is bad. There are two caps that go bad in this model that cause this problem all the time.

Bad news is that the use of a meter and soldering skills are required to fix this problem. Beyond that the bad news continues, you set is known for all kinds of problem in what is called the chassis. There were so many problems with that chassis that Mitsubishi even stopped selling some of the parts for it and if anything goes wrong with it they want you to sent the whole chassis to them for repair. Now this could cost over $800 if you chose to have it done, you will also want to have a qualified mitsubishi tech do the work for you.

You may find a tech that will come repair the power supply in that set for you, and if you do it may run you $300-$400 BUT I would think carefully about it because it would not be fun to spend $400 tomorrow and then two weeks from now the DM go bad and the whole chassis need to be sent off for repair because mitsu doesn't sell the part any more.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please done hesitate to ask!

If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved.

Thank you,
Tim

Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sounds like I have a 62" Mit donation sitting in front of me!

Thank you for all your help!

Jeff
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

sorry to bring you the bad news, if you ever have any more questions please come back!

Thank you,

Tim