Martin, Technician
Experience:  Studied video technologies before university. I still fix TV's in spare time.

My house was hit by lightning now my Samsung HLN5065W will

Customer Question

My house was hit by lightning now my Samsung HLN5065W will turn on but only fans come on I replaced the lamp still nothing. Is it worth fooling with or is it junk
Category: TV
Expert:  Martin replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer welcome to Just Answer.

When you changed the lamp, did you unplug it? if So for how long? It it was 20 min only, try to unplug it for 1-2 hours.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It has been unplugged now for 6 months just got time to fool with it.
How can i tell if it is the ballast. I read that on a forum.
Expert:  Martin replied 7 years ago.
If you want to solve this by yourself, you will have to get the service manual for that TV.

From there (i mean after trying to change the lamp) many thing can have gone wrong if the problem is not fixed. BTW, only change the lamp if the LED indicator point to it, it might now always solve the problem but when those LED don't ask for it it mean it's not the problem.

The ballast can indeed go bad, you can hear it "clicking" 3 or 4 time trying to light the lamp until it give up. Usually this give blinking light somewhere. Also, a bad color wheel can prevent a TV from coming up. Another thing is insufficient power from the power supply.

Because you have lightning in the equation, the best would be to have it serviced at a repair shop because it can be lot of things, and most of the component to change are really expensive one don't want ending up changing random stuff until the problem is fixed.

Usually, then a power surge happen, a protection kick in, you unplug the TV for a while, and the protection fall and the TV can come back ON. In your case, stuff might have fried up to the DMD module, nobody know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There are not any shops left close by me thats why I am trying here
Expert:  Martin replied 7 years ago.
I know what you mean. But if lightning did hit the house, it's the same as looking as a wrecked car from a high speed crash and thinking you can just pump up a tire and all will be fine. The TV might not look to be into piece, but internally many component might have transistor barrier broken up. The way it break don't show visually (or by smell) because no high current did go trough component, it's just very high voltage pulse that semiconductor and capacitor can't take. No heat is involved.

And here we come back at your original junk suggestion. It all depend on how much will it cost for you to transport, while at the same time nobody can tell you if the TV will be fixable for under the price of a new one.

I guess i don't need to advice you to get a surge protector for any electronic equipments costing more than $100.