Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.

i have a sony trinitron model kv36fs13 the standby timer light

Customer Question

i have a sony trinitron model kv36fs13 the standby timer light flashes 5 times then pauses. no picture or sound
Category: TV
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 5 years ago.

Hi!

Let me see what I can find out for you, I'll be back in a few minutes.

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This problem happened after a power surge or mometary interuption, the lights flickered and the tv stopped working.

Great, that info helps.

Back soon!

Chuck

<p>OK, the service manual says that a 5 blink shut down can be cause by a failure in the CRT drive card or the actual tube itself, but if this just happened after a power surge, that doenj't seem all that likely.</p><p> </p><p>Try unplugging the power cord from the outlet it's plugged into for 30 seconds, plug it back in, and see if it still does this.</p><p> </p><p>If it does, and you are comfortable taking the back off of the set, I have something for you to try.</p><p> </p><p>Otherwise, you're just going to have to call a tech.</p><p> </p><p>Let me know if you have any other questions for me, and thanks for using JustAnswer!</p><p> </p><p>Chuck</p>
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience: Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I unplugged the set for a minute and it did not help, I am willimg to pull the back cover off if necessary, what am I looking for?

When you get the back off, remove the CRT drive card from the end of the tube. If you gently wiggle it, it should just come off. Make sure it can't short against anything.

Now turn the set on and see if it will stay on. If it does, I'm afraid you have a bad picture tube.

If it still shuts off with 5 blinks, look on the large board on the bottom and find the set of leads that go to the CRT drive card. They should lead to a 9 pin connector on this board labeled CN303 (there may be connector CN705 on the drive card, and if that comes off, that's fine to use that connector). Now try the power again, and see if it stays on. If so, you have a defective video output amp IC on that board.

Try that and let me know!

Chuck