Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.

Why would my TV volume just go down by itself

Why would my TV volume just go down by itself?
Category: TV
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number of the TV? The model number will be displayed on a tag on the back of the TV near where the power cord is attached.

How long have you owned the TV?

What have you tried to correct the problem?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hello, Edward.

The set is a Toshiba Model 35A44 that we have owned for about 3 years or so.

We will be sitting watching TV and all of a sudden the volume indicator pops on and goes to zero, as if someone were adjust it using the remote control. The set is on a cable system, and we already went to them and got a new remote, thinking that might be it. We reprogrammed the remote, but it still does the same thing. We were thinking someone in the neighborhood must have a Toshiba and we are getting a signal. But our closest neighbor is at least 100' away, so that doesn't seem likely.

Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.
This is a common problem that can have a variety of causes. As strange as it may sound this problem can be caused by light dimmers, florescent lights, a bright light shinning into the remote sensor on the TV. Other causes are a high powered transmitter close to your location, such as a ham radio operator or a CBer. It is not likely being caused from a remote in a neighbors house. Covering the remote sensor's access on the front of the TV will eliminate the problem being caused by another remote. Once all of these sources have been eliminated I believe the problem will be a bad control board in the TV. The only way to know for sure what is causing the problem, which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment and the skills to use the test equipment. If you have no electronic training I will suggest that this be professional replaced. The repair should cost $150 to $250.
Edward, Technician
Experience: 40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Edward, can you tell me precisely where the remote sensor is on the front of the TV? It is not readily apparent to me.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.
They can be rather hard to detect. It will be on the bottom plastic panel. A flashlight might help locate a small discolored area about the size of a pea. Cover the entire panel with a piece of cardboard if you are not sure of the location.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the accept. If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them. I hope you will return to Just Answer again. Please tell your friends about Just Answer. In the future you can request me personally if you wish. Positive feedback is very important to me. Please leave feedback when you get a chance. Click here if you wish to leave feedback.

There is no need to reply to this post unless you have additional questions. It will only generate a request for me to reply to your post.