Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.

Why does my Sony 3 LCD 50 Wega Engine TV keep going off with

Customer Question

Why does my Sony 3 LCD 50" Wega Engine TV keep going off with the power/standby button flashing. It will come back on by itself but is doing it every few minutes this evening.
Category: TV
Expert:  Neil replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

What is the model number of your TV?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is a Sony 3 LCD Wega Engine If I read the numbers correctly infront of the TV it is KDF ES0A10. It is about 4 years old and just started doing this today. On Friday we had a tech come in and install a 2-room DVR.
Expert:  Neil replied 5 years ago.

The model number you provided is not a valid sony model. But I would say that your TV is an LCD projection TV. The turning off and on indicates a bad lamp. You would need to replace the lamp.

I hope this answers your question and if you have more please feel free to ask.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this answer does not help me. Thank you anyway
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my model number is XXXXX E50A10. Is it difficult to replace the lamp?
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 5 years ago.

Hi!

Neils answer is most likely correct. Your model is a KDFE50A10, and the bulb can easily replaced by you.

This is a known failure mode for lamps. They will stay on for anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes, shut off, then the TV re-fires the lamp, then it will repeat the cycle.

You can order a new lamp by clicking Sony XL2400 Lamp. If you have your owners manual, the procedure to replace the lamp is on page 86, but if you don't have that, I can describe how to do it. It's reaaly a snap.

Hope that helps, let me know if there's anything else I can do for you, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Please describe as I am not sure where the manual is.

Sure. Very easy.

On the right side (facing the set) towards the back is an access panel that just snaps off when you push the tab down. Then you'll see a gray plastic bar. Turn that bar counterclockwise, and that panel will open. Then you'll see the lamp assembly. Just lift up on the black ring and pull it out. Take the new lamp and put it in just like the old one cam out. Replace the panel with the plastic bar, snap the access panel back on, and you're done!

Chuck

Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience: Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.