Martin, Technician
Experience:  Studied video technologies before university. I still fix TV's in spare time.

I have a Sanyo MTS stereo/SAP/dbx 35 screen TV. The power

Customer Question

I have a Sanyo MTS stereo/SAP/dbx 35" screen TV. The power button does not work. It was pushed in and stayed there, but when I finally was able to pull it out, it did not work. Is there anyway to override the power button. I have Dish TV and that remote does not turn it on. I cannot find the original remote. The TV was my father's and is about 8 years old. Can anybody help? I can't afford a new TV and I'm afraid of how much a repair man would cost. I feel pretty sure it's probably just a wire connector, but I''m afraid to take it apart from the back.
Category: TV
Expert:  Martin replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer welcome to Just Answer.

It's always a possibility the power button problem is just a coincidence with the TV problem.

One thing that might happened is that the button even if it came back is electrically stuck. Often, when a button is pressed on the front of the TV, all other button action are disabled. If the button never let go, it's possible it block all. Perhaps in that case unplugging the Tv for 10 min would totally reset the button IO circuit and allow the TV to open on being plugged back (that is a big maybe).

If your remote code don't work with your universal remote, you can also try the Fisher code (it's a sister brand of Sanyo).

If it's only a button problem, a repair shop will not charge much for that, you should have that solved for $50.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I tried your suggestions and unfortunately they did not solve the problem. However, you did say it was a long shot. I am going to call a service man in the area. I want to thank you very much for your suggestions. I feel reassured that the service will not cost an arm and a leg and will be far less expensive than replacing the TV. I certainly cannot afford a 35" high def. TV and this one has a good enough picture. I am impressed by the speed of the answer I received and the suggestions. I would not hesitate to use this service again.
Once more, thank you for your attention. It is a well spent $9.