Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
3134513

My LG plasma tv monitor keeps cycling on and off for itself,

My LG plasma tv monitor keeps cycling on and off for itself, without anything coming on the screen. Neither the TV remote nor the ON/Off button on the TV can stop it. Only unplugging does. Rebooting doesn't help though. Once we turn it on, even after several minutes, it continues.
Category: TV
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. Heat is the enemy of electronics, and these plasma sets operate hot. You might wish to unplug the TV for an hour or more. If this power reset does not allow the TV to turn on component failure is indicated. These sets are assembled using the wave soldering process they are known for having cold solder connections. This model of TV has over 2,000 parts which include millions of transistors inside the integrated circuits. The capacitors will change value, leak and become defective. Resistors will change value and burn. Integrated circuits and transistors can go bad. This can cause other components to become defective, which can have a domino effect and cause other parts to fail. Replacing one defective part may make the TV operate for a short time but the part will fail again since if the parts that caused the failure to begin with are not replaced. The only way to know for sure what is causing the problem, which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment and the skills to use the test equipment. I wish I could tell you there was a quick fix or button to push that would fix the TV but that is not the case or the solution needed to get the TV operating correctly.

If you wish to repair it yourself what type of electronic training do you have?

What type of TV test equipment do you own?

Do you own and know how to operate an oscilloscope?

If you decide this is not something that you can do I expect this repair will be about $250 to $450, depending on how many parts are found to be out of factory specifications, if the problem is a bad circuit board, and if the board can be repaired or has to be replaced. A small TV repair shop will often charge less for the repair than a large electronics repair facility.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your Just Answer's account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your reply Edward. No I don't have electronic training but I know physics and I understand that these systems are complex and that heat can be a problem. I don't think it is this time though. We always have an external fan going in back. Leaving it off for 4 hours (to cool?) didn't help either. In addtion, normally we have to press a button on the TV itself or the remote to turn on the TV. In this case, it is not turning off in response to OUR turning it on (which I would assume would be a response to overheating) nor has it done so in the past at all. Instead, it is turning ITSELF on and off, over and over again, every couple of seconds, just enough time for the light in front to turn from red to green, but not long enough for anything to come on the screen. We can't get it to stop unless we unplug it. Any other ideas please?
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

I do not expect that heat is causing the shutdown but the set operated hot normally. This heat can cause early part failure as I have described above. The only way to know for sure what is causing the problem, which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment and the skills to use the test equipment. TV repair shops spend lots of money on test equipment to diagnose the TV sets to find what is wrong with them. If they did not need this equipment TV repair would be lots cheaper and anyone could repair a TV.

Please do not accept this information if you do not find it helpful. I will gladly opt out and ask another expert to respond if you wish.

Regards,

Edward

Note: If the icons or other text makes the page unreadable please refresh the page. Sorry for this inconvenience.

Edward, Technician
Experience: 40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the accept. If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them. I hope you will return to Just Answer again. Please tell your friends about Just Answer. In the future you can request me personally if you wish. Positive feedback is very important to me. Please leave feedback when you get a chance. Click here if you wish to leave feedback.

There is no need to reply to this post unless you have additional questions. It will only generate a request for me to reply to your post.

Regards,

Edward