Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
13758627

My Mitsubishi WS-65869 has audio, but no picture. Screen is

Customer Question

My Mitsubishi WS-65869 has audio, but no picture. Screen is totally black. This happened all at once. Is there a switch/button that may have been pushed or how do I check for bad projection lights?     Thanks.
Category: TV
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 5 years ago.

Hi!

It's definitely not the tubes.

So you don't get any on screen menu or graphics, but otherwise the power turns on and you get audio, correct?

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes that is correct.

OK, that's a very odd failure for this TV. Normally they will turn on, then a couple seconds later, shut down.

What you need to try is pulling the front speaker cover off of the set, and remove the access panel so that you can see the necks of the 3 CRT's, and in dim light, look for very faint orange glow in the base of the tube. That will be the "heaters" for the CRT's, and if they aren't lit, the set can still turn on and have audio and respond to the remote, but of course, there will be absolutely no light on screen.

Also, once you have the front cover off, when you turn it on, listen to hear the high voltage come on. It will sound like a short, quick frying or sizzle sound. When you turn the set off, listen again for that same sound, only it will go away more slowly. The high voltage is probably OK, because if it weren't the set would probably just shut down when you turn it on.

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
All three heaters are glowing at the bases. Also I hear the high voltage noises as you described.

Hmm, very odd.

Try unplugging the power from the wall for 30 seconds, plug it back in, and when the front green LED stops flashing (may take 90 seconds), try it again.

Chuck

Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience: Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried that already about 5 times, but I will give it one more try. The tv screen blanked when I was out of town and I tried every button on remote I could think of and on tv to see if someone changed the settings.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried that about 4 or 5 times will try again. I was gone when screen blanked just wondering if someone hit the wrong button. I tried every button on tv and remote I could think of to reset.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Still is not working any other ideas? I hit the accept payment button. Trying to reply.

There is no button that you could have pushed to cause this. Let me do a little research on this and I'll get back to you in a few.

Chuck

I'm beginning to think you have a problem with the DM module, which is the large metal box on the left side of the TV when seen from the back. It also has the HD tuner. This module has been the source of many oddball problems on this set.

You say you get sound when you power the set up, so obviously you're receiveing a station.

What I want you to try is to unplug connector VA on the signal board. The signal board is the large board on the right as you're viewing it from the front access hole. The VA connector should be toward the front edge of the board, pretty much in the middle, and be perpendicular to the front of the board. Once you've unplugged that, turen the set on and see if you get video from the source you are tuned to. You won't get any on screen menu or graphics, but at least you should get a picture, assuming the signal isn't coming from the set's HD tuner, which is in the suspect DM module.

If you don't have success with that, put connector VA back where it should be. Turn the set on, and carefully press MENU - 0 - 1 - 5 - 9 on the remote. What that's supposed to do is bring up a green crosshatch grid on screen. This grid is generated in the convergence module while the normal menu graphics come from the DM module. If that works, press the HOME button on the remote, and turn it off.

Try that, let me know how it goes, and thanks for the Accept, I really appreciate it!

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried the VA connector no change. I then used the remote and pushed menu 0159 3 seperate times and still screen is black. There is now a red screen with horizontal thin lines that appear for 2 or 3 seconds when set turned on.

You say the red screen appears for 2 or 3 seconds, then both the screen and lines go away?

Hmm, boy. This is very odd behavior for this TV.

You might try pulling the red CRT drive card off of the red tube, and then turn it on and see if you get anything.

Do you have a DVM (voltmeter)?

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I pulled the plug of the drive card and when I turned tv on in it shut itself off after about 2-3 seconds. I do have a voltmeter.

Well put it back in and try to get back to where you were before (stays on with sound).

I'm going off line for a while, but will be back in a little over an hour.

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I put it back to where it was initially. Now when I turn it on it comes on green instead of red with thin horizontal lines. It is doing some strange things. My main concern that there was something simple I was failing to do. That one of my kids had pushed something to prevent the picture to come on. I am satisfied with your help, but if you want to continue I will. I do have a voltmeter. I know this is a tough question, but do you think it may be a reasonable repair pricewise. I have been thinking about going flatscreen anyway. Thanks.

I can guarantee you that your kids had nothing to do with this problem.

And I can also guarantee you that it will be the rare TV tech who will be able to help you on this, and that's because A. this really is an uncommon problem for this TV, and B. most TV techs these days simply arfen't capable of dealing with this kind of failure, and you'll end up in TV repair hell.

Another guarantee is that the problem is either on the DM module or the Signal Board. You can contact PTS Corp. and arrange to send your DM module to them, and they will repair it for about $550. But if your problem is the Signal board, you may be out of luck, as I don't think PTS will help you with that, and since there is guarantee where the problem is, I wouldn't recommend going there.

I'm really sorry I don't have something more solid to go on, and you've been great in following my advice, but maybe a flat screen is looking like a better idea. Whatever you buy, make sure you get an extended warranty. All of these TV's, regardless of whether it's plasma, LCD, or rear projection, have large and expensive assemblies that cannot be fixed, and must be replaced.

Good luck!

Chuck