Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
13758627

My hitachi 57 projection tv screen has a red tinge to it.

Customer Question

My hitachi 57" projection tv screen has a red tinge to it. Can you tell me what the problem is and can I fix it myself?
Category: TV
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 5 years ago.

Hi!

What's the model number of the TV?

Do you have another source (like a DVD player) connected to the set, and if so, does it have this problem also?

Did this just show up one day all of a sudden or was it a gradula thing?

Let me know!

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi and thanks,,,

The Model number is XXXXX

Yes a dvd player is hooked up to the set and yes when we put in a dvd it still has a reddish screen.

It just started all of a sudden. It will go back to 'regular' color for a minute or two but then goes back to a reddish screen.

OK. When the screen is "reddish", I'll bet there is absolutely no green in the picture, correct? That's because I think the green tube is intermittently cutting out, giving you a "magenta" picture.

This may be a super easy fix, but you need to take the front off of the set to see the CRT drive cards for each tube.

The front speaker grill must pulls off, then there is an access panel that you need to remove.

Once you have that open, carefully reach in and wiggle the green CRT card. The picture may just snap right back to normal.

If that's what happens, the fix is to remove the drive card, blow it out with compressed air, and put it back on.

It's a little tricky to get the drive card off. First make sure the set is unplugged. You'll see a metal clamp that secures the base of the drive card to the neck of the tube. You'll need to loosen the clamp, but you'll see that there are some plastic "fingers" that the clamp tightens against, and the fingers press against some cloth tape around the glass. Over time, some adhesive seeps out and effectively glues the plastic fingers to the tape. All you need to do is use a small flat blade screwdriver to pry away as many of the fingers from the tape as you can reach, then just gently wiggle the board off of the end of the tube. Be careful not to accidentally bend any of the pins that come from the tube, they are very difficult to re-align.

Try that, let me know how it goes, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can see the red and blue bulbs are lit..the center bulb must be the green one. it's not on. Not sure if I'm touching the right piece or not but I wiggled the whole connection coming down from the bulb and nothing happen,,,,is that the crt card? I also blew off the dust a little. So far the green bulb has not come back on.

I still think that's the problem, so try at least pulling the card off and putting it back on again.

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok,,,,I took it off,,,,,blew it off,(not with compressed air though) and the bulb is still out..does this mean the bulb is bad??? Can I buy a new bulb or are they really expensive?

Hmm... well, I really doubt that it's the tube.

The next test is a little more complicated, but hey, you've gotten this far.

What you need to do now is remove either the red CRT card or the blue CRT drive card and try it on the green one. You can't simply swap them because they are daisy chained together with a wirinig harness that won't allow you to do that.

All the wires that come to these boards start at either the red tube or the blue tube, so you have to choose the color card that is most easily swapped to the green one. There will be a single ground wire that goes from the tube to its drive card that you'll also have to disconnect.

Try that. If the green tube lights up, you know it's not the tube. If it doesn't, it is the tube, and you may want to consider replacing the TV.

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Well,,,,you were right,,,,,the green bulb works!!!! So now what?

Hi again Chuck, yes the green bulb works but I have the red bulb unplugged. I was going to take the old green board and plug it into the red,,,but it won't reach. Not sure if you knew what I did or not

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. The problem now is to decide if the problem is the green card or the electronics driving the green card.

You said that the picture occassionally goes back to normal. Since wiggling and unplugging the green drive card didn't seem to do anything, the next easiest step is to put everything back the way it's supposed to be and taking the butt of a small screwdriver and gently tapping on various parts of the signal board to see if there ,ight be an intermittent connection. The signal board, as I recall, is on the right side of the set when viewed from the front.

By the way, I'm guessing that if you try bringing up the TV's menu, the menu is also affected, correct? I'm pretty sure it would be, but that is something to check.

I'll be ging off line for the evening soon, so if you respond, I may not be back until tomorrow.

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Chuck, first of all thanks so much for your help.....I'll talk to you tomorrow. I did tap all the little connections and there was no flickering....the green bulb never came on. Look forward to hearing what you think would be the next best thing to do.

.I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida and the store recommended the Geek Squad to repair. They charge a minimum of $150. just to come out. So your help has been greatly appreciated. I'd rather buy a new TV than just to start putting money into this one.. Anyway, thanks again, Steve

Steve, the next test is a little more involved still, but you seem to be moving right up the ladder to TV Repair 301.

What we need to deiced now is if your problem is the green CRT card or if it's further back into the TV. If it's just the green card, you may be able to just get a new one and you'll be set. If the problem is farther back in the TV, then that's a different story.

What we need to do is swap the green signal to the card with one of the other colors. This will be a bit tedious to do, and you'll need a small flat blade jewelers screwdriver. Let me know if you want to attempt this, and I'll work on the instructions for you.

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,,,,yeap,,,,,lets try it.

OK. The connector you are looking for is, conveniently, on the green CRT drive card.

Connector PSC is a 12 pin connector. Pin 7 is the green signal, and pin 5 is the red signal. What you need to do is reverse these two wires so that the green signal is going to the red card and vice versa. You should be able to get the wire out of the connector by prying open a small tongue on the connector at that pin.

Turn it on. Is green still out? if so, you have a defective green CRT drive card. Did red go out? If so, you have big problems, and we would have to progress to the next level in your training course.

Chuck

So, any luck?

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi chuck,

Got tiedup with some things,,,,couldn't get to the tv. am going to try it tonite...I'll get back with you tonite or in the morn at latest.....

sorry for the delay,,,,,,Steve

OK, just wanted to make sure you didn't forget me!

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Chuck,,,

I'm a little confused,,,,should I be looking for,,,,like 12 wires or looking for pins....I did (when we first started) switch some wires around.........................just not sure this time around

thanks, Steve
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey Chuck,,,,,well,,you can disregard the last e-mail....I got it and switched the wires,,,,the green bulb remained out...I was misreading what you were saying.....So this means I have a bad green crt card???? Where would I buy something like that?

Anyway,,,,so where do we go from here.....

Steve

Yes, that means the green CRT card is defective, and, all things considered, that's great news.

Waht you should do is contact PTS Corp. and see if they will repair the card. That's what Hitachis recommends for board failures where a new board is not available.

But first you might want to contact Encompass and see if they have the part. The part number is XXXXX

Good luck, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience: Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey Chuck,,,

Just wanted to say thanks for all your help.

Have a good one....

Steve
My pleasure, and thanks for the Accept!

Chuck
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Chuck,,,,,that part number JT24054 comes up for a 57s700,,,,I have a 57s500. Am I looking for a green CRT?

One more thing,,,I was going to put in a little extra for you but was worried abouty where it might go. Does it go to you? or somewhere else. I didn't want it just going somewhere else

Steve

Oops, you're right, it's JT24051, but I'll bet JT24054 would have worked, they actually are essentially the same. And no, you're not looking for the tube, just the circuit board.

And thanks for tinking of a bonus, and it would be most appreciated! Any money paid through JustAnswer is split 50% between they and me.

Chuck

Chuck Williams, Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Chuck,,

Well, that kind of blows.....you only get 50%....I guess they probably check theses e-mails huh.

Oh, yes... But half a loaf beats no loaf at all! Besides, if it weren't for this forum, I wouldn't have been able to help you, so they deserve their cut.

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
True,,,,,ok,,,well I'm gonna put in a little extra for you,,,,,I really appreciate all you've done.

can you tell me what this part looks like,,,,,is it the whole card??? or is it something else

Thanks! And, yes, it's the card you were pulling off and swapping around.

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok,,,,,your 100% on that part number???

That's what the service manual for a 57S500 said.

Where are you ordering it from? If its Encompass, call them up and they'll verify that.

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yeah,,,,that's who I was gonna use....you recommended them so what the heck. Well, I'll give em a call and order it....thanks again for your help...I wish the bonus could be more...take care,,

Steve

Steve, thanks a million, and best of luck to you!

Chuck

OMG, Steve, a $50 bonus?? That's very generous, and I thank you very, very much!

By the way, I was wrong, on bonuses, I get 75%, so thanks again!

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
LOL well good,,,,,,,,wish the whole thing could have gone to you....glad you appreciated it.
thanks again Chuck,,,,,,,take care,,,Maybe we'll talk again some day,,,,,it's been a pleasure. Steve

The pleasure was mine, you're great at following exactly my directions, and that pays off for you!

Chuck

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi chuck,,,tv still works fine,,,got another tv I'm having issues with .

Panasonic 50" Plazma, Model number TH-50PZ80U. Power button is flashing 7 times. Can I repair it??and can you walk me through it.

thanks, Steve

Expert:  Rod replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve,

Chuck has not been on for a few months.

It is JustAnswer policy that new questions, not related to the original question, be posted as new questions.

If you desire, you can post it as a new question, directed to me, and I will be happy to assist.

Thanks,