robotek
robotek, Technician
Experience:  30 years experience Electronics Customer Service to major manufacturers.
14800499

I have a Maxent MX-42x3 plasma TV. It takes a long time to

I have a Maxent MX-42x3 plasma TV. P420542HM8. It takes a long time to warm up. At first the screen is black. As it warms up the screen flickers...at first a lot, then as it warms up the flickering gradually subsides until finally in about 3-4 minutes the screen works normally. After research, I have found several probable fixes. 1) Replace the image board..$350+- part cost. This upgrades the firmware version from 15 to 22 and appears to have worked in 2005 for a fellow. 2) Replace the SU board (U) DPWB-0163-1G-P I think? $65 part cost or 3) SSboard (X) DPWB0159-1G-PA which will cost $135 parts. Which of the 3 ways seems most probable to fix it? Can I fix it w/o buying the board? These seem to be poor units but if the fix is cheap, I'd like to fix it.

Thanks,

Jon

Category: TV
Expert:  robotek replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-how much do you really want to spend getting this puppy up and going again. This is the shortcoming of a cheaper design of set without incorporation of the self diagnostic modes and indicators that higher branded product posses, makes them harder to fix...

-have you looked over the boards at all for failing capacitors. I can give you advice on what to look for here.

-are there any on Craigs list you can get for spares to loan.

-call around you local repair guys and see if they will sell you a donor wreck for board change outs.

-TVs are coming down in price, these units are a Costco special.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Hi
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the response. I would spend up to the cost of the board..$327 to fix it. Once it is warmed up in a few minutes it is just fine. Hate to toss it out just for that delay. I haven't checked for failed capacitors so information there would be appreciated. I checked Craigs list and a guy is selling a 50 inch Maxent for $550.00. The idea to get a "loaner" from Craigs List is a good one but of course a hassle. My 42 inch is almost too big for my application. As well, these low end plasmas all seem to have problems and why transfer my old one for a new used one and it's problems? Other Maxents have much worse problems after 3 years of use than mine does. After research, I found out that the 3 parts are mentioned...New boards were installed by the tecs sent out in 2005 when the TV's were under warrantee. Other sites say that the 2 cards described earlier might do it. The problem has to do with the warmup phase only, then the unit is OK. Good idea on calling tecs around here. I just haven't done it yet cause if the fix is easy, I want to do it myself. I just wished that someone could hear the problem and kind of know what the probable fix would be...which card to replace first so to speak, but your help is much appreciated in any case and I will pay for your time when we are done.
Expert:  robotek replied 5 years ago.
Be careful when working around mains powered devices,PARTICULARLY WITH THE BACK OFF. Work electrically safe. If you dont know what that means, then time to call for a technician to do the work for you.
<br />
<br />I would start with a hair dryer in the back of the set and heat (use common sense here) each board from cold and see if you can isolate the faulty board by accelerating the warm up process of the offending board. It may take a few times doing this from cold before you find it. Just don't get too carried away with the heat. Once you find a board or area on a board that appears to be symptomatic, check for bulging and or water marks on the pcb beneath electrolytic capacitors in that area. I expect that they will be causing your problem. You may not even need to replace a board if you can isolate the problem area in this manner.
<br /><br />
<br /><br />regards
<br /><br />Graeme
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
robotek, Technician
Experience: 30 years experience Electronics Customer Service to major manufacturers.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That makes sense. I appreciate your advise. Thanks for your help!