Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
3134513

My phillips T.V. wont turn on. The light turns on for a second,

My phillips T.V. won't turn on. The light turns on for a second, I hear a click as if its going to turn on and then.....nothing, it just turns off and every few seconds or so the on light flashes twice but nothing........ and so on. Help please.
Category: TV
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number of the TV? The model number will be displayed on a tag on the back of the TV near where the power cord is attached.

How long have you owned the TV?

What have you tried to correct the problem?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The model number is XXXXX s 327. The serial numberis 78189132 the date code is Jan 2003.

I was trying to press a.v. button to watch a movie last night and the T.V. seemed to lock into this mode. Nothing appears on the screen even though it has power for a second and then shuts off. I have had the T.V. for about 6 years with no problems. Infact I was just watching it last night. I have tried to unplug the t.v. and wait I have tried every button combination known to man to reset it but nothing. Sorry I am a slow keyboarder
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. You might wish to unplug the TV for an hour or more. If this power reset does not allow the TV to turn on component failure is indicated. These sets are assembled using the wave soldering process they are known for having cold solder connections. The safety circuitry shuts the TV set down when it detects a problem. This model of TV has over 2,000 parts which include millions of transistors inside the integrated circuits. The capacitors will change value, leak and become defective. Resistors will change value and burn. Integrated circuits and transistors can go bad. This can cause other components to become defective, which can have a domino effect and cause other parts to fail. Replacing one defective part may make the TV operate for a short time but the part will fail again since if the parts that caused the failure to begin with are not replaced. The only way to know for sure what is causing the problem, which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment and the skills to use the test equipment. I wish I could tell you there was a quick fix or button to push that would fix the TV but that is not the case or the solution needed to get the TV operating correctly.

If you wish to repair it yourself what type of electronic training do you have?

What type of TV test equipment do you own?

Do you own and know how to operate an oscilloscope?

If you decide this is not something that you can do I expect this repair will be about $150 to $250, depending on how many parts are found to be out of factory specifications, if the problem is a bad circuit board, and if the board can be repaired or has to be replaced. A small TV repair shop will often charge less for the repair than a large electronics repair facility.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your Just Answer's account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Note: If the icons or other text makes the page unreadable please refresh the page. Sorry for this inconvenience.
Edward, Technician
Experience: 40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So then if I don't want to pay for the repair my T.V. is done according to you? Is that correct? because if that is the case I am throwing the T.V. out and moving on with my life. What do you suggest? it is not worth spending that kind of money when new ones are smaller cheaper and better, right?
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

Honestly once repaired the TV is likely to have other problems soon after it is repaired. Philips is know for manufacturing a dependable or long lasting TV. If you decide to replace the TV I will suggest a Sony LCD TV. The picture will be better and the set will cost less to operate.

Regards,

Edward

Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the accept. If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them. I hope you will return to Just Answer again. Please tell your friends about Just Answer. In the future you can request me personally if you wish. Positive feedback is very important to me. Please leave feedback when you get a chance. Click here if you wish to leave feedback.

There is no need to reply to this post unless you have additional questions. It will only generate a request for me to reply to your post.

Regards,

Edward