Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.

TV shut off and wont turn back on, what is the problem

When my TV was on it shut off and wont turn back on. I moved the power cord to another outlet. Tried to turn on with power button on TV and remote. Let it sit for a couple of hours and still nothing. What is the problem?

Hi and welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about your TV. To help me, can you tell me the make and model of the TV?

How old do you think it is?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your reply!

It is a Sony Trinitron, model KV35V35
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Oh, and I bought it July 30, 1996. Can you believe I have the receipt?
When it shuts off, does the power light flash? If so, count the flashes for me please.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It shut of once and I have not been able to get it back on and no lights are flashing.

No lamps at all? You may want to check the fuse in the power supply.

Is this something you can do? The power supply is going to be on the other end of the power cord, inside the TV.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Thanks for the suggestion Steve! I took out the fuse for the power supply (located next to the power cord inside the TV)and took it to a hardware store. The fuse is still viable.
Any other suggestions?

If the fuse is good but the set is dead, then you have a bad component in that power supply section. Possibly the bridge diodes, regulator - it could be one of several things.

I think you will have to have it checked out by a pro with a meter and a scope. Something has popped but it is going to be tough to track it down without being there in the room.

Most TV techs will charge about $70 to diagnose a TV and give you an estimate. I don't think the repair charge will be much more.

I'm sorry I can't help you further. The problem is in your power supply.