Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
3134513

We have a Magnavox 27 model 27Ts52, chassis 27x602-00bb, purchased

We have a Magnavox 27" model 27Ts52, chassis 27x602-00bb, purchased in early 1997. We have a bullseye pattern in the picture. yellow tint middle, red, blue rings. Is this something we can possibly fix ourselves?

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

If you wish to repair it yourself what type of electronic training do you have?

What type of TV test equipment do you own?

Do you own and know how to operate an oscilloscope?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We have no electronic training whatsoever. No test equipment, and have no idea what an oscilloscope. We were hoping it might be something as simple as undoing a few screws and replacing a bulb. The TV is a big heavy monster, and not worth putting much money into. We could probably email a photo of what the picture is doing.

The color rings and bullseye pattern is normally caused by a problem with the degaussing circuitry. Every time the TV is turned on there is a degaussing coil that should be turned on to degauss the CRT. If you have anything magnetic near the TV such as speakers this can cause the problem. A TR repair person has a degaussing coil that can be used to correct the problem. Click here for more information on degaussing. These coils are not expensive or you can click here for the information needed to make your own. There could be other parts no longer within the needed specifications. The only way to know for sure what is causing the problem, which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment and the skills to use the test equipment.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your Just Answer's account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Note: If the icons or other text makes the page unreadable please refresh the page. Sorry for this inconvenience.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Any guesstimate of what a repair on this would cost?
I expect this repair will be about $100 to $150, depending on how many parts are found to be out of factory specifications, if the problem is a bad circuit board, and if the board can be repaired or has to be replaced. A small TV repair shop will often charge less for the repair than a large electronics repair facility.

Regards,

Edward

Thank you for the accept and the positive feedback. If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them. I hope you will return to Just Answer again. Please tell your friends about Just Answer. In the future you can request me personally if you wish.

There is no need to reply to this post unless you have additional questions. It will only generate a request for me to reply to your post.

Regards,

Edward